Due to the Campus moving to Virtual Instruction, faculty will be required to format their courses in alternate teaching modalities. Please use our Instructional Continuity button, below, to find and explore alternatives for successful instruction during the closure. Below this box, please select "ATI Faculty Workshops in Alternative Teaching Modalities" for dates, live Zoom links, and recordings of previous workshops.
CSUSB Email: Lists, Listservs, Groups, and Shared Mailboxes
CSUSB supports a number of methods for using one email address to distribute information to a group of people.
Request a New List
To request a new mailing list, please Open a Support Ticket
You will be asked to provide information about your mailing list, and make some choices about the technology used to support the new list.
- List name - Must be one word and not have any spaces in it as this will be used in the email address for your list serve.
- Owner - The email address of the list owner(s).
- Description - A terse phrase identifying this list. If your list is advertised this description will be provided to potential subscribers so that they can decide if they want to subscribe.
- Advertised - Should your list be shown in the listing of public mailing lists?
- Subscribe policy - Should the list owner approve new members? By default listservs send an email to a potential subscriber to confirm their request. If the owner wants to control who subscribes to their mailing list, the listserv can forward these requests to the owner instead.
- Membership exposure - Should the list of members be shown to anyone, list members, or only the list owner?
- List type - Will this list be used for discussions, announcements, or be public. See Types of Lists for details.
What type of email do I need?
With so many ways to send and receive email it can be difficult to know which type of email address will suit your needs.
Distribution lists are maintained in Office 365 and end in @csusb.edu. This type of address is typically NOT used in the From field. Members of distribution lists must be other @csusb.edu address. Distribution lists are used to reach a small group of members, such as an office, where you want replies to come from an individual member. This type of address is great for intra-office communication. Updates to the distribution list membership are made through opening a Support Ticket
Mailing lists are maintained in Google Groups and end in @groups.csusb.edu. This type of address is NOT used in the From field. Members of mailing lists can be anyone. Mailing lists are used to reach a large group of members, where advanced features are desired such as member self-service (subscribe and unsubscribe), message moderation, digests and other Google Groups features. This type of address is great for classes, departments communicating with students in their program, etc. Updates to the list are made by the mailing lists owners themselves.
Shared mailboxes are maintained In Office 365 and end in @csusb.edu. This type of address CAN be used in the From field. Members are given full-access permission (view mail, set mailbox features such as auto-reply, etc.) and send-as permission (use the address in the From field to send mail). This type of address is great for official department communication with the campus list and other situations where you want to reply from a single address. Updates to the Shared Mailbox membership are made through opening a Support Ticket
User mailboxes are maintained in Office 365 and end in @csusb.edu. This is your personal email address, so you are the only one who can send and receive mail. Full-time employees are automatically given a user mailbox. Student assistants are not automatically given a user mailbox. However, they can be requested through opening a Support Ticket .