Internet Access Alternatives
Below is a curated list of resources to provide the CSUSB community access to stay connected as we switch to alternate modality of teaching, learning, and working. As part of the Keep Americans Connected Pledge, many Internet Service Providers and Cellular Carriers have been offering assistance programs.
The information below is up-to-date at the time this page was published. As we are aware of changes, we will update this as soon as we are able. Please verify with your carrier or internet service provide on your eligibility.
- San Bernardino Campus (View Map)
Wireless connectivity will continue to be available to faculty/students/staff. The following parking lots or structures provides WiFi coverage for users who are parked near the designated areas:
- Parking Structure West: Available on the first and second floors.
- Parking Structure East: Available on the first and second floors.
- Parking Lot N: Available on the East and South sections.
- Parking Lot B: Near the campus electrical sub-station building.
- Palm Desert Campus (View Map)
Wireless connectivity is available in the spaces adjacent to the Indian Wells Theater.
Public Wireless Network
- Palm Springs Libraries have left their public WiFi to be accessed by patrons from their cars. Some libraries in the state have posted that they are adding outdoor access points to cover the street and parking lots.
- Riverside County and Rancho Mirage are leaving public WiFi on and have no objection to people sitting in cars in their parking lots, with caveats the signal reaching that far hasn’t been an objective to date.
- AT&T: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families.
- Sprint / Boost:
3/18: Customers with metered data plans will receive unlimited data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
3/26: Customers with mobile hotspot-capable handsets who don’t have mobile hotspot today will now get 20GB per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
- T-Mobile / Metro:
3/13: All current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
3/20: Providing all T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 10GB/month of mobile hotspot service for the next 60 days coming soon.
- Verizon: Provides additional 15GB of data. https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-helps-eliminate-worry.
Internet Services Providers
First, find out which providers service your area: You can find out on https://broadbandnow.com/
- AT&T’s Access program offers up to 10 Mbps internet to eligible customers for $10.00 per month.
- Cox: Connect2Compete program offers low-cost internet to eligible families or $9.95 per month and is available to families.
- Mediacom’s Connect2Compete program partners with EveryoneOn to offer internet solutions for $9.95 per month. Check your eligibility or sign up by calling 1-855-904-2225.
- Spectrum offers an Internet Assist program. To apply for Spectrum Internet Assist, call Spectrum at 1-855-542-6651.
- Xfinity offers an Internet Essentials program that allows qualifying customers to purchase a plan for just $9.95 per month.