Worker's Compensation

In compliance with California Workers' Compensation Law, an employer must report all work related injuries or illnesses arising out of and in the course of employment and covered by the California Workers' Compensation System. To comply with this law, all supervisors should complete the necessary forms within 24 hours and adhere to the following workers' compensation procedures.

Employees are covered for any injury/illness arising out of or in the course of employment. Sedgwick CMS is the Third Party Administrator (TPA) for the CSU Workers' Compensation Program.

All job-related injuries or illnesses should be immediately reported to the employee's supervisor and the Human Resources Department (SH-110). If an injury occurs when the Campus is closed for an extended period the Supervisor's Injury Investigation Report should be faxed to Sedgwick CMS at (510) 302-3041. The 

 form should also be faxed to Sedgwick CMS if the employee is seeking medical services or has or will lose time.

Medical Attention

Medical treatment will be authorized by Human Resources if necessary. CSUSB has designated HEATHPOINTE and St. Bernardine's Medical Center as medical facilities to provide medical treatment for injured employees. St. Bernardine's should be utilized for more severe injuries. In the event of a campus closure University Police can be contacted to authorize medical treatment.

However, if prior to an injury, the Human Resource Department has been provided with a 

 naming a personal physician, employees may seek medical care from this physician immediately after injury. Prior to treatment the Human Resources Department must confirm that the form is on file.

Supervisor's Injury/Illness Report

When an employee is injured on the job, the supervisor must complete a Supervisor's Injury Investigation Report. After completing Form EHS-SIPR, please fax a copy to Human Resources at 77019 and to EHS at 77049. The original copy must be mailed to the Human Resources Department within 24 hours of the report of injury/illness and you must call and report the injury to Human Resources.

Employee's Claim for Workers' Compensation Benefits

After the necessary medical attention has been received, the supervisor is required by law to provide the injured worker with an 

 within one day of receiving notice of an injury which results in lost time beyond the date of injury, or which results in medical treatment beyond first aid. Examples of first aid could include: minor scratches, cuts, burns, splinters etc.

If the employee elects to file a workers' compensations claim, the employee will complete the top portion of this form and thenimmediately return the DWC-1 in person to the Manager of Workers' Compensation, in the Human Resources Department. In the event the employee is off work and unable to return the form in person, the supervisor should immediately send the form to: Human Resources Department, Attn: Manager of Workers' Compensation. The Human Resources Department will complete the bottom portion of the claim form and advise the employee of the claim process.

If an employee qualifies for workers' compensation, all approved medical bills will be paid in addition to any temporary or permanent disability payments to which an employee is entitled.

Industrial Disability Leave

If an employee is unable to work as a result of a work-related injury or illness, he or she may elect to receive Industrial Disability Leave (IDL) in lieu of temporary disability payments.

  • IDL is available to CalPERS members
  • IDL provides full pay for the first 22 days of disability, with two-thirds pay for the next 11 months of disability.
  • IDL is available for a maximum of 52 weeks within the two-year period beginning with your first day of lost time.
  • While on IDL, you may be eligible to supplement your Workers' Compensation benefits with sick leave.
  • Employees disabled for 14 days or less do not receive IDL for the first three days (waiting period) unless hospitalized.

If you are not a member of CalPERS, Workers' Compensation benefits will be available through California Workers' Compensation Temporary Disability (TD).