Employees can apply for service retirement online, in person, or by mail. It is recommended that employees begin planning for retirement one year before retirement.
Planning for Retirement Checklist
To file electronically, employees can log in to my|CalPERS. Go to the Retirement tab, select Apply for Retirement, and follow the steps for submitting your application and required documents online to CalPERS.
There are a number of benefits to filing for retirement electronically:
- Easily and securely submit an application 24 hours a day.
- Leave the online application and return at any point to complete it.
- Prior to submission, review and edit information.
- Receive confirmation that the application has been successfully submitted.
- Submit additional required documents online.
- Use the Electronic Signature to eliminate the notary requirement for the member signature.
For step-by-step instructions on filling out a paper service retirement application, employees can review the Service Retirement Election Application (PUB 43) or take the instructor-led or online Member Education class, Completing Your Retirement Application. For additional assistance, employees may make a one-on-one appointment at a CalPERS Regional Office. Employees may submit a hard copy retirement application and required documents in person at a CalPERS Regional Office or by mail.
Contact CalPERS at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377) with retirement application questions.