Benefit eligible employees have 60 days from their hire date to enroll in benefits.
- Staff, Teaching Associates & Tenured Faculty (or Tenure Track), and Management Personnel Plan (MPP) employees are eligible for benefits if appointed half-time or more for a period of six (6) months and a day or more.
- Lecturers and Coaches appointed based on the Academic Year (AY) calendar for two (2) or more consecutive quarters (one appointment letter) at .4 time base or greater are eligible for benefits.
- Coaches and Lecturers (Non-academic calendar year) are eligible for benefits if appointed half-time or more for a period of six (6) months and a day or more.
- Employees appointed on an hourly, intermittent basis do not qualify for benefits.
- An enrolled employee may carryover coverage into a position with an appointment of less than 6 months as long as the time base is half-time or more (.4 for lecturers/ academic-year calendar), and there is no break in service in excess of a full pay period or more. The coverage will continue indefinitely when subsequent appointments of less than 6 months apply, as long as the time base does not fall below half time (.4 for lecturers/ academic-year calendar), there are no breaks of a full pay period or more, and the appointment is a salaried position.
Note: Eligibility for retirement plan membership in the California Public Employees' Retirement System differs from the eligibility for health benefits. See the Retirement Plans section of this site for more information.