The benefits payable depend on a number of factors such as the member's age, years of service, eligible beneficiary, and whether or not the employee was eligible to retire at the time of death (age 50 with at least five years of service credit).
- To report a death, please contact CalPERS directly at 1-888-225-7377.
- CalPERS will send information and the necessary forms shortly after a death is reported.
- The information on the completed forms serves as the formal application to receive payable death or survivor benefits and to identify family members who may be legally entitled to benefits.
- If you would like to update your beneficiary designation, please complete the Pre-Retirement Lump Sum Beneficiary Designation Form and mail to the address on the bottom of page 2 on the form.
- For more information on the application process, beneficiary designation and benefits payable, please visit the CalPERS Website or contact them directly at 1-888-225-7377.