Medical coverage for eligible CSU employees and/or eligible dependent is provided through the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and is governed by the provisions of the Public Employees' Medical and Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA).
- Monthly plan premium costs are shared by the CSU and the employee.
- Employee contribution rates vary depending on the plan selected and the number of dependents enrolled.
- Before enrolling, review the current 2021 Medical Plan Rates (Rates change in December 2021) and 2021 Health Benefit Summary.
- To find health plans available in your area go to the CalPERS Health Plan Search by Zip Code
- Use Provider Phone/Website List to contact providers for more information.
- Log in to your MyCalPERS to use the Find a Medical Plan tool.
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO's)
HMOs offer a range of health benefits including preventative care. Employees select a primary care physician who coordinates all care including referral to specialists. If you go outside the HMO's provider network without a referral, you may be responsible for the total cost of the services.
Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO's)
PPOs offer members the freedom to select primary care providers and specialists without referrals. If you go outside the PPO network, co-payments will be higher. Furthermore, annual deductibles must be met before some benefits apply.