As a member of CalPERS, employees also participate in Social Security.
- Social Security and Medicare taxes are withheld from an employee's paycheck.
- Withholding rates are 6.2 percent for Social Security and 1.45 percent for Medicare.
- Social Security maximum taxable earnings is $128,400, for 2018.
- There is no limit for Medicare.
- Beginning in 2013, an additional Medicare tax of 0.9% is applied when an employee's wages and compensation exceed $200,000.
- Social Security Administration (SSA) website