Main Content Region

Current Students - Academic Pathway Program

Current Students - Academic Pathway Program


IEP offers a variety of services to international students studying in the U.S. Important: Our current processing time is five (5) working days. We encourage all students to plan ahead when submitting a request.

  • Letters
  • I-20 Request/Travel Signature
  • Program Extension
  • Departure Form

To submit a request:

Online Request Form


CSUSB's central location presents endless possibilities of things to do in Southern California. Students who intend to travel while studying at CSUSB need to plan ahead.

Local Travel

Ride Omnitrans and sbX (bus) free with your Coyote One Card!

Traveling Inside the U.S.

Traveling within the U.S. does not require authorization. However, our office highly recommends that students carry their passport and I-20 when travelling, especially when visiting San Diego or Arizona.

Traveling Outside the U.S.

Students must obtain a travel signature if they plan to travel outside the U.S. and return to their program. Students will not be allowed to reenter the U.S. without a valid signature. Travel signatures are valid for one year, however, our office recommends you receive a new travel signature every quarter.

Success and Wellness

Your personal, social and educational success is important to us. The resources below are available to all CSUSB students.


Each student is expected to understand and abide by certain expectations and regulations while enrolled at CSUSB. These resources provide students with information about the university and their program. If you have any questions, please contact our staff.


Living on campus provides many opportunities to get involved at CSUSB. It's also an excellent chance to build life-long friendships. Student housing is offered in four dormitory environments: Serrano Village, Coyote Village, Arrowhead Village and University Village.

Visit Housing and Residential Education to apply.

Health Insurance


All F-1 and J-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain health insurance as a condition of registration and continued enrollment at CSUSB. Students will not be able to register for classes without purchasing a health insurance plan.

All students and scholars are required to purchase insurance through Relation. The only exceptions are:

  • Students on SACM scholarships, which provide insurance coverage, must show proof to our office (CGI, Third Floor) in order to be excluded.
  • Students on OPT/CPT with an employment-based insurance may qualify for a waiver as long as they provide proof to our office (CGI, Third Floor) that their coverage meets the minimum requirements.

The U.S. Information Agency requires all J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying dependents to have health and accident insurance which covers emergency evacuation and repatriation. U.S. government regulations require the University to notify the U.S. Information Agency and to terminate a J-1 exchange visitor status if the J-1 scholar has willfully failed to comply with the insurance requirements.

Currently, all F-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain health insurance as a condition of enrollment and receiving an I-20 for the International Extension Programs at CSUSB.

Students cannot register for classes without purchasing a health insurance plan.

All students are required to purchase insurance through Relation. Students may purchase semester (term) or annual coverage based on their individual needs.

Steps to enroll in coverage:

  1. Visit Relation.
  2. Select the term of coverage.
  3. Submit Proof of Insurance Enrollment to the IEP office via email at
  4. Complete the enrollment process.

Please visit for more information on the schedule of benefits, dates of coverage, and program costs. 

Student Health Center (On-Campus)

Our on-campus health center offers students a variety of medical services, including primary care, immunization, nursing care and health education. For optimal convenience, it also offers a pharmacy and laboratory.

For more information on services provided, please contact the Student Health Center at or call 909-537-5241. 

F-1 Visa Regulations

The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant, full-time student visa which allows international students to pursue their education in the United States. After an applicant submits the required application materials and is accepted to one of our programs, the International Extension Programs will issue the I-20 form.

F-1 visas are issued on the basis of full-time study.

Maintaining Full-Time Status
English Language Program Academic Pathway Program or Study In the USA Program
Attend all ELP classes Must be enrolled in at lease 12 units each term

* Students must also make satisfactory academic progress in order to maintain full-time status.

Change of Nonimmigrant Status

A Change of Nonimmigrant Status can be processed inside or outside of the U.S. There are two options for gaining a new nonimmigrant status.

Change of Non-Immigrant Status Options

Inside the U.S.

Outside the U.S.
Process takes approximately 5 months for approval Quicker process
Must remain in the U.S. on a valid F-2 May obtain F-1/F-2 visa status immediately (depending upon the processing time in the Embassy/Consulate)
Current F-2 visa holders may only study part time while their application is pending N / A
Current B-1/B-2 visa holders cannot study while their application is pending N / A

For more information, please contact 909-537-5978 to schedule an appointment with an IEP immigration advisor.


Open Local Attractions configuration options

CSUSB programs for international students allow participants to improve their English language skills and broaden their understanding of American culture. In addition to classroom learning, participants can take part in recreational activities on and around the campus.  These include virtual events, movie nights, game nights, holiday parties, talent shows, and more!

Campus Life at CSUSB