Main Content Region

Military Training Credit

Credit for Military Service

CSUSB grants lower-division undergraduate credit for completion of basic training in the Armed Forces of the United States. This credit is applied to the "Lifelong Understanding" area of the general education degree requirements.

A limited amount of additional credit may be granted to students who have completed certain service schools in addition to basic training.



Credit for Instruction in Non-Collegiate Settings

The CSU grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction appropriate to the baccalaureate, either military or civilian, as recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Purely technical lower division coursework may not receive baccalaureate credit.

Limitations on the Transfer of Credit

Unit limitations apply to specific categories of credit which may be used to meet baccalaureate degree requirements:

  • A maximum of 36 quarter units of credit earned through extension and correspondence courses may be applied to a baccalaureate degree program.
  • The total amount of credit earned on the basis of externally developed tests and through recommendations of the Commission on Educational Credit, which may be applied to a baccalaureate degree, shall not exceed 45 quarter units, except that advanced placement credit is excluded from the limit.
  • A maximum of 105 quarter hours may be transferred from two-year colleges. Generally, students will be granted credit for baccalaureate-level courses successfully completed at regionally accredited two or four-year colleges. All courses, except remedial and some vocational/technical courses, are accepted for degree credit from accredited institutions awarding four-year degrees.

Credit is granted in compliance with applicable national, state, Title V, CSU system and university policies and procedures. Such credit may be applied toward fulfillment of a major, minor or general education requirements when applicable; other courses may count as elective credit toward the baccalaureate degree.

Transfer Credit from Overseas Institutions

Credit is granted from recognized overseas institutions. Awarding of advanced standing varies depending on the educational system of the country. Certified copies of transcripts and degrees must be submitted in English translation.

Transfer Grade Policies

CSU campuses typically utilize the following policies in evaluating grades earned in courses accepted for transfer:

The grading policy of the regionally accredited institution where credit was earned is honored by accepting at face value all official transcript entries including those:

  • reflecting academic renewal efforts,
  • reflecting acceptance of grade point remediation for repeated courses, and
  • regarding "incomplete" grades (e.g. I, IS, and IU).

All transfer courses graded pass/no pass or credit/no credit are computed at neutral value, except in those cases where the specific grading symbol is identified by the source institution as equivalent to a grade less than "C" in which case it will be taken at face value.

All transfer course grades or symbols used to designate unsatisfactory, failing or non-passing work at time of withdrawal such as UW, WU or WF are evaluated as failing grades ("F") unless otherwise defined by the source institution.