Main Content Region

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the California Fee Waiver?

  • The California Fee Waiver is an educational benefit for dependents (spouse, child or step-child) of a military veteran. There are certain eligibility requirements that the veteran and the student must meet in order to begin receiving this benefit. For full details and eligibility requirements, please visit the CalVet website

I can't register for my class!

This issue may have several causes. The first and most common reason for not being able to enroll in a class or set of classes is due to a hold. It is always recommended to check for holds prior to your registration date. To check for holds, go to your MyCoyote profile in the "Student Center" section. On the right hand side of the page there is a section titled "Holds." If it says anything other than "No Holds" you have a hold. To check a description of the hold just select the hold you wish to view. If you need further clarification on how to clear the hold, or you still are unable to register, please call the Veterans Success Center, as they will be able to help you.

How do I register for class?

To register for classes after you have been admitted and attend SOAR, go to your MyCoyote profile by logging in with your Coyote ID number and your password, select the "Student" tab near the top of the page and select "Student Center" on the left side of the page under "Student Self Service." If you need further assistance, the Veterans Success Center is more than happy to assist you through the process in person or over the phone.

What are the benefits of being a veteran at CSUSB?

Once you are admitted to CSUSB, you may be eligible for priority registration with the submission of your DD-214, excluding the Over 60 Program. As an active duty service member, veteran, reservist, National Guard member, ROTC cadet or dependent, you have complete access to the Veterans Success Center resources, which provides complimentary tutoring specific to your needs, lunch two weeks before finals, free printing, advocacy and many more benefits and resources.

What benefits do I qualify for?

CSUSB is not certified to officially counsel veterans or dependents about Veterans Affairs benefits, though the Veterans Success Center is able to provide guidance, should you need clarification. It is highly recommended that you visit the GI Bill website or speak to a Veterans Affairs representative for more information.

When can I be admitted to CSUSB?

If you are currently serving as a military member, reservist or veteran, you may be able to apply any time during CSUSB’s academic year. As above, you should check with the Veterans Liaison Counselor to ensure that you are eligible for admissions. If you are a dependent (spouse, child, or step-child) you are only able to apply during the normal admissions timeline which begins in October, approximately one academic year before you plan on attending.

What are CSUSB’s Distance Learning Options?

College of Extended Learning

The College of Extended and Global Education (CEGE) provides lifelong learning opportunities for different stages in your life ranging from high school, college, career to retirement. They also extend the resources of the university into the community, region, nation, and around the world. Visit the CEGE website for more information.


Open University

Open University provides an opportunity for learners who are not currently admitted to California State University, San Bernardino to enroll in degree credit classes with the required approval. The Open University program can help you update professional skills, prepare for a career change, enrich your personal development or work toward a degree. Many of the regular courses are held in the late afternoon and evenings, which provide opportunities for working adults. Open University is not available to students who are officially admitted to Cal State San Bernardino. Visit the Open University website for more information.


CSU Fully Online

The CSU Fully Online program provides an opportunity for eligible matriculated students to enroll in one course per term offered by another CSU campus. The program is aimed to facilitate access to high demand, high success courses as part of the continuing effort to provide students with access to the courses needed to expedite graduation. The CSU Fully Online program offers courses from each of the 23 system campuses in a variety of disciplines to accommodate the needs of current CSU students. Included in the offerings is a small number of courses that have gone through an extensive review process, and have been deemed effective, based on the curriculum and student success rates. For more information, please contact the Veterans Success Center.

What are the first steps to become admitted to CSUSB?

You should first speak to the appropriate Veterans Liaison Counselor to see if you are eligible for admission to CSUSB. Before scheduling an appointment, ensure that you have copies of your unofficial transcripts, either high school or community/junior college. The counselor needs to review your transcripts before a decision can be made.

I can't get classes / There aren't any classes available, what do I do?

You have a few options. The first is to contact the department for that class and explain your situation. The second option is to contact the professor of the class directly. Their emails can be found on the top of the CSUSB website under the “Directory” link by typing their last name in the “Last Name” section. The third option is to fill out and have the professor sign an Add Slip for the class. Lastly through your department, you may also substitute a class for the class you need to take. The process for substitution differs from department to department, so be sure to contact your department before classes start. If you still have questions or issues regarding registering for a class, Please contact Veterans Success Center

When will my SOAR hold be lifted?

The hold will be lifted once you have completed the appropriate SOAR session, or an online version of the orientation. If the hold is not lifted after you have completed the training, please contact the Veterans Success Center for assistance.

How do I transfer my VA benefits from another school to CSUSB?

  • The easiest and quickest way to transfer your benefits is through the VA’s ebenefits website.Login and choose Form 22-1995. When you have completed the form, select the submit button to electronically submit the form. Download a copy of Form 22-1995,  and mail it to the closest VA regional office

Where is the nearest Navy ROTC?