Main Content Region




Follow the steps on this page are to submit a "new" Request for Certification to the Veterans Success Center (VSC) through the Veterans Benefits Module (VBM) using your MyCoyote portal.

Note: If there is a change in your enrollment status, including adding or withdrawing from a course, please refer to the Update Certification Request.

Steps for VA Certification Enrollment


STEP 1 - Collecting Documents for Online Certification 

If have not applied for VA Education Benefits

  1. IF you are not approved for VA benefits. Apply for the benefit to obtain proof of VA educational benefit.​​​​​​
    • Apply for benefits through

If you are using Cal Vet Fee Waiver/College Fee Waiver

  • Visit our Cal Vet Page for information on how to submit.

Incoming First Year Students

  1. If you are already approved for your VA benefit, you DO NOT need to re-apply.
  2. Have a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CoE).
    • If you are a dependent
      • You will only need to upload the CoE.
    • If you are a veteran
      • Have your CoE prepared.
        • Only Chapter 31 students DO NOT HAVE a CoE. You will not need to upload a CoE.
      • Have your DD-214 Service 4 page prepared.
        • DD-214 is used to obtain First Priority Enrollment for veterans.

Incoming Transfer Students

  1. For Transfer Students, you will need an updated CoE from the VA.
    • You will need to fill out a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form on

Examples and Samples of Certificates of Eligibility

  1. SAMPLE of COE or Proof

Website Preview of
Image of VA government website

STEP 2 - CSUSB Student Portal "MyCoyote"
  1. Visit
  2. Locate and click on "myCoyote" to login to their student portal
  3. Use the Image below for reference to locate myCoyote button.

MYCoyote portal picture

STEP 3 -  Locate Student Center Tile
  1. Look for the tile with an image of 3 books stacked on top each another labeled "Student Center".
  2. Click on the "Student Center" tile.
  3. Use image below for reference on the tiles appearance.
    • Student Portal Tile Selection picture
STEP 4 - Select the "Academics" Drop Down Menu
  1. Under the "Academics" section, click on the grey hamburger menu symbol
  2. Symbol is called "Hamburger Logo" or "Hamburger Icon"
  3. Use the image below for reference.

Hamburger log

STEP 5 - Look For Veteran Benefit 
  1. Drop down menu will appear
  2. Look for "Veteran Benefits Tab" and click it

Veterans Tab

STEP 6 - Read content and click on "Certification Request" 
  1. Read the description and information
  2. Scroll down and click on " Certification Request" which will allow you to start the process. 

certification request


STEP 7 - Create Profile 

Fill out all sections: 

  1. Term- Select the term you want to be certified for.
  2. Select your *Veterans Service Branch"  
    • If you are a “Dependent”, select branch of veteran.
  3. Select the VA Educational Benefit you will be using for the term you have selected.
    • Please refer to your "COE" certificate of eligibility that you have downloaded from 
    • NOTE: If you select Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance Program please make sure you add a Chapter 35 VA File Number.
  4. Respond to "Relationship to Veteran"
  5. Select your status under “SELECT ALL THAT APPLY”
    • Leave blank if it does not correspond to you. 
  6. Attached all required document " COE" Certificate of eligibility, DD214 Service/member 4, other documents. 
    • If this is not complete there will be a delayed in your enrollment certification. 
  • Fill out form
STEP 8 - Initiate Request & Attatchments
  1. To proceed to the attatchements section, select "Initiate Request".
  2. This will allow you to click on Attatchments and proceed to the second half of the Certification Request.


STEP 9 - Attachment Selection

Once you have fill out all profile documentation please get ready to Attach Documents.

Documents you will need to attach are:

Certificate of release or discharge from active duty (DD214 Member 4) Veterans Only

Department of Veterans Affairs certificate of eligibility (COE) correspondence/letter

NOTE: You must attached the correct Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in order to be able to continue the certification process. You may find your COE on

Step 9 - Attachment Selection

STEP 10 - Go Back to the VA Certification Page

 Once you have attached the document/s. You will see them on the section “File Attachments”

Click on the “RETURN” Section on the bottom of the page.

Step 10 - Go back to VA certification page

STEP 11 - Selection of Classes to Certify

 Now you will select the classes you want CSUSB School Certifying official to certify you for.

NOTE: Only Courses that are part of your educational plan will be certified.

Step 11 - Selection of Classes to Certify

STEP 12 - Read and Acknowledge

Step 12 - Read and Acknowledge

STEP 13 - Selection of Courses

 Select the courses you want to be certified for.

When you are done, you will have to “submit the request”.

STEP 13  Selection of Courses

STEP 14 - Complete Certification
  1. Once your classes have been selected and submitted for certification you are done.
  2. The system does not have a completion notification nor email to alert you of completion. However you can check the Top Right Box to see if the Status is Submitted. (You will need to refresh page or revisit page for status to update)
  3. To leave the page, click on "Return" to go back to the VA Certification Page.
  4. You are now down with submitting a Certification Request. The Certification Request are completed in the order that they are received.

Read and Aknowledge



How to check your certification status

  1. Open veteran's benefit portal in the student center

  2. Select initiate request, select ok, and select term you would like to check.

  3. View status under your veterans benefit for this term box on the top right

A few examples of the what the status of your certification means include:

  • Initiated- Student has not requested classes to be certified. Student has completed a "profile".

  • Submitted- Students Certification Request has been submitted and receieved by the SCO.

  • In Review- CSUSB SCO has received the certification and is reviewing it.

    • Certifications are processed in the order they have been received. 

  • Pending- Student's certification is pending means that either we are working on your certification and notifying you.

    • Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 certifications will remain pending until CSUSB SCO bills for tuition and fees. This means that you will see this pending status until after "Census date". You will still continue to receive BAH, MHA, Book stipend, Etc. You will receieve a deferment on your account to ensure you are not dropped from classes.

    • If you are chapter 1606, 35, or 30- Please check that courses that you are requesting are part of your educational plan. 

    • A pending status can mean that you are missing information and if that is the case please email us at 

  • Reported- Student's certification has been sent to the VA electronically via VAOnce. 

  • Denied- There is issues with your certification. You may have failed to provide correct documentations to the SCO. Please contact the SCO if you would like further information. The Certification will not be processed. 

Sample veteran benefit status:

Certified Example

*Disclaimer: CSUSB does not award any of these educational benefits. You must apply to the correct agency to determine eligibility.

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)."


VA Debt Management Center (DMC) Debt RELIEF for Student Veterans

View Your Debt Relief Options by visiting VA Debt Management Center (DMC) Debt RELIEF for Student Veterans.

Debt Management Center Debt Portal: Manage Your VA debt. (Portal is for Veterans ONLY)

Letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs