Main Content Region

Military Spouses and Dependents

A dedicated page for current, incoming or potential veteran dependent students at CSUSB. There's two listed benefits that dependent students may qualify for from the VA Office if they are found eligible.

For more information on these two benefits, please look at the information that follows below.

Please Note: Eligibility is not determined by our office, as it is up to Cal Vet / Veteran Affairs to determine your eligibility for these benefits.

Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

This is a federal benefit which dependents can apply for, and (if they are found eligible by the VA) can use at CSUSB. Chapter 35 will provide the attending student with a monthly stipend at the beginning of each month that they are enrolled in. If the student does not receive their stipend within 1-3 days, they can contact the VA Office and request an update on their stipend. 

Other names for this benefit may include: Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), or Educational Assistance. This is not to be confused with Cal Vet Fee Waiver. 

General Information

To read more detailed information on Chapter 35 from the VA, use this link here.

Get an understanding of what the benefit will or will not cover/provide for you here at CSUSB by visiting our Chapter 35 page information here.

How to Apply

For information regarding how to apply, you can use the following link here to apply for Chapter 35 or other related benefits. The application for Chapter 35 is fully online through

California College Fee Waiver

This is a California state benefit which dependents can apply for, and (if they are found eligible by CalVet) can use at CSUSB. This benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. (Insert was taken directly from the Cal Vet website) 

Other names for this benefit may include: Cal Vet Fee Waiver, College Fee Waiver, Tuition Waiver, College Tuition Fee Waiver, Cal Vet. 

General Information

There are four plans to the Cal Vet Fee Wavier. You can find information on all four plans and read through them to determine your eligibility by using the following link here. Once you have determined which plan you may fall under, you can proceed to apply for the benefit. 

How to Apply

To apply for the benefit, you can visit the Cal Vet website using the following link here. On the very bottom of the page you can find an up to date downloadable pdf application.

Once you have filled out the application and gathered the neccesary documents, you must submit those documents to a local VA County Office for them to determine your eligibility. You can use this link here, to locate the closest VA County Office near you.

Document Information for Application

Documents needed for the California College Fee Waiver are listed below:

  • Completed and most up to date DVS40 application 
  • The student’s Birth Certificate showing the relationship of the child with the veteran.  
  • If the student is married, please provide a copy of the student’s marriage certificate. If filing joint taxes, provide a signed 1040 and the W2’s for the spouse and student.  
  • If the student worked during the previous year, provide a signed copy of the student’s completed IRS income tax return form 1040.  
  • If the student did not work, and had no reportable income, provide a Verification of Non-filing letter from the Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service.  
  • If the veteran is rated 100% P&T, then the current VA Award Letter and a copy of the DD-214 is required.  
  • If the veteran is rated less than 100% P&T, then a VA Award Letter verifying service-connected disability is required.

Please note that additional documents may be required according to your situation: 

  1. If the student is a stepchild and their last name is different than the veteran’s, provide a copy of the veteran’s Marriage Certificate and the student’s Birth Certificate. 
  2. If the veteran is unable to sign, please fill out form VSD-021 Non-Veteran Signature Certification

Helpful Resources

  1. To obtain an Individual Status Letter (or Letter of Non-Filing) you can look into the State of California Franchise Tax Board.
    Please click the link here to find the most up to date webpage with information on how to obtain an Individual Status Letter:
    State of California Franchise Tax Board
  2. To locate your nearest Cal Vet Office, please click the link to search: Cal Vet Veterans Services Office Search

How to Submit your Authorization Letter

Once you have been found eligible to receive the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, you will receive an authorization letter with a code via email. 

In order to apply the Cal Vet Fee Waiver towards your CSUSB account, you will need to send your authorization letter to the VSC in one of the following ways:

  • email the PDF file to (please use your coyote email address and include your full name and student ID number, along with the PDF attached)
  • visit the VSC in person to drop off a printed copy 

Cal Vet Fee Waivers take approximately 10-15 business days, or 12 -20 business days with delays, to process. Authorization letters must be turned in no later than 15 days prior to the tuition due date. Submitting less than 15 days prior, or past the tuition due date will result in tuition waiver delays and the student will be responsible for making tuition payments on time. Students may contact Student Financial Services for payment options in the meantime of their Cal Vet Fee Waiver being processed.

Please remember that the Cal Vet Fee Waiver is only eligible for the academic year in which you applied for. You must reapply each academic year and submit your updated authorization letters to the VSC for processing.