Main Content Region

Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)

*Reprinted from VA Education and Training MGIB-AD

'GI Bill®' is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Mor information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

The Montgomery GI Bill® program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty, called 'MGIB' for short, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans for:

  • College
  • Technical or Vocational Courses
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Apprenticeship/Job Training
  • Flight Training
  • High-tech Training
  • Licensing & Certification Tests
  • Entrepreneurship Training
  • Certain Entrance Examinations
  • Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances


You may be an eligible veteran if you have an honorable discharge, and you have a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit, and you meet the requirements of one of the categories below:

Category I

  • Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months
  • Continuously served for three years or two years, if that is what you first enlisted for or if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served four years ( the 2 by 4 program)

Category II

  • Entered active duty before January 1, 1977
  • Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or 6/30/87 if you entered the Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years)
  • On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-Era GI Bill®

Category III

  • Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II
  • On active duty on 9/30/90 and separated involuntarily after 2/2/91, or involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93, or voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200

Category IV

  • On active duty on 10/9/96 and you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date and you elected MGIB by 10/9/97 or entered full-time National Guard duty under Title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 and you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, through 7/8/97
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1200 lump-sum contribution

How to Apply

If you have never used these benefits before, you will need to apply to use them.

  1. Paper                                                                                                                                                  
    Submit the following to CSUSB's School Certifying Official for VA Benefits:
    • Application for Educational Benefits, VA Form 22-1990.
    • Copy of your #4 copy of your DD-214
    • Copy of $600 buy-up if applicable
  2. Electronic
    • Go to the GI Bill® website and select the “Apply for Benefits” link for the online application. When you have completed the form, select the submit button to submit it electronically. Once you have been approved for the benefit, the VA will send you a certificate of eligibility letter.

If you have used these benefits before at another school, you will need to fill out the following:

  1. Paper
  2. Electronic
    • Go to the GI Bill® website and select the “Apply for Benefits” link for the Form 22-1995. When you have completed the form, select the submit button to submit it electronically.

After you have been admitted to the university and have registered for classes, you will need to submit your eligibility letter and DD-214 form to the School Certifying Official, Jaime Espinoza.

You will then need to complete the

Vet Statement of Responsibility (VSR).

The School Certifying Official, Jaime Espinoza, can be reached at 909-537-7196 or by e-mail

What it Pays for

Monthly payments are based on your training time: full-time, three quarter-time, half-time. When you train at less than half-time, you'll be paid tuition and fees with a lump sum payment. But if tuition and fees amount to more than you would be paid at the half-time rate (or the quarter-time rate if you're training at quarter-time or less), your payments will be limited to the half-time (or the quarter-time rate).

If you go to school while on active duty, you may have two options for using MGIB benefits.

You may be eligible to receive:

  • 'Regular' MGIB, or
  • Tuition Assistance plus MGIB, or Tuition Assistance 'Top-Up'


If you use the 'regular' MGIB while on active duty, the VA can pay you whichever is less:

  • The monthly rate based on tuition and fees for your course(s); or
  • Your maximum monthly MGIB rate (basic rate plus any increases you may qualify for).

The basic monthly rates increase October 1 every year in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increase. They may increase at other times by an act of Congress. For the current rates for all types of training, check the GI Bill® website, or contact the VA through phone or e-mail. While you're in training, you'll receive a letter with the current rates when the October 1 increase goes into effect each year.

Your basic monthly rate is based on your training time (The additional amount for dependents under the Vietnam Era GI Bill® isn't included in figuring your rate while you're on active duty).

Your maximum monthly rate is the basic rate plus any increases payable. However, while you're on active duty, you won't be able to receive these increased rates unless you take expensive courses because you're limited to payment of tuition and fees. You will also not receive the housing allowance because as an active duty member housing is provided for you or you already receive a housing allowance.  

For additional information visit the GI Bill® website or call 1-800-827-1000.