Main Content Region

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

*Reprinted from VA Education and Training VEAP

'GI Bill®' is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Mor information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government GI Bill® website.

VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the government. You may use these benefits to earn a degree, a certificate, take correspondence courses, participate in apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.

Benefit entitlement is 1 to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions you made. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If there is entitlement not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the account will be automatically refunded. For more information or questions concerning VEAP please read the pamphlet.


To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985;
  • You must have enrolled, and original contributions must have been made, before April 1, 1987;
  • Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2700;
  • Completed your first period of service; and were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available.
  • Contributions may be withdrawn if you do not meet the basic eligibility requirements or if you formally request a refund of the contributions withheld.

How to Apply

If you have never used benefits before, you will need to apply to use them.

  1. Paper
    • Obtain and complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.
    • Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will train.
      • If you are not on active duty, send copy 4 (Member Copy) of your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
      • If you are on active duty, you must have your enrollment approved by your base Education Services Officer, and you must have your service verified by your Commanding Officer.
  2. Electronic
    • Go to the GI Bill® website and select the “Apply for Benefits” link for the online application. When you have completed the form, select the submit button to submit it electronically. Once you have been approved for the benefit, the VA will send you a certificate of eligibility letter.

If you have used these benefits before at another school, you will need to fill out the following:

  1. Paper
  2. Electronic
    • Go to the GI Bill® website and select the “Apply for Benefits” link for the Form 22-1995. When you have completed the form, select the submit button to submit it electronically.

After you have been admitted to the university and have registered for classes, you will need to submit your eligibility letter and DD-214 form to the VA Certifying Official, Jaime Espinoza.

You will then need to complete the Vet Statement of Responsibility (VSR).

The school certifying official, Jaime Espinoza, can be reached at 909-537-7196 or by e-mail at

What it Pays for                      

How much educational assistance you'll receive depends on total contributions (yours, the government's, and DOD's), your type of training, and (for training in college or vocational school) your training time (number of credit hours). Calculating total contributions:

The total amount of your contributions can't exceed $2,700. To determine total contributions, add total contributions you made:

+Matching funds equal to two times your contributions (Government contributions)
+Any additional contributions or 'kickers' by DOD
= Your total benefits available

How Many Months of Benefits You Can Receive

You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Usually, the number of monthly payments for full-time training will be the same as the number of months contributed to VEAP. To find your monthly rate, divide the total contributions by the number of months you contributed. If you contributed for more than 36 months, divide your contribution by 36. This is your full-time rate for schooling (Lump-sum contributions are converted into equivalent numbers of months—one month for every amount you designated). The amount you designate must be between $25-$100 and divisible by 5.

You may receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under more than one VA education program. For example, if you used 36 months of benefits under VEAP, and became eligible for Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB – AD), you could have a maximum of 12 months of entitlement under MGIB – AD.

For additional information visit the GI Bill® website or call 1-800-827-1000.