National Voter Registration Act
The NVRA requires that all California State Universities and Community Colleges’ offices that provide services to individuals with disabilities, including the Services to Students with Disabilities (SSD) office at California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB), are designated as voter registration agencies and must provide voter registration services.
Voter Registration Qualifications
To register to vote in California, a student must be:
- A United States citizen and a resident of California;
- 18 years old or older on Election Day;
- Not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State's Voting Rights: Persons with a Criminal History); and
- Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court (for more information, please see Voting Rights: Persons Subject to Conservatorship).
A student who is under the age of 18 can pre-register to vote in California. The student must:
- Be 16 or 17 years old; and
- Meet all of the other eligibility requirements to vote.
Students pre-registering will automatically be registered to vote on their 18th birthday.
Who Should Register or Re-register to Vote?
A student who:
- Has never registered;
- Has moved to a new address;
- Has changed his/her name;
- Has changed his/her political party preference;
- Is not sure if he/she is registered to vote; and
- Has not voted in the last several elections.
What Happens After a Student Registers?
They will receive from SOS Election Division:
- Postcard confirming status
- Voting materials
- Polling place location
- Mailed ballot (for vote-by-mail voters)
A student can register or pre-register to vote online by clicking on this link.
The student will be asked to answer a series of questions and enter his/her personal information, including:
- CA driver's license or ID number.
- Social Security number.
- Date of birth.
Students’ information will be provided to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to retrieve a copy of their DMV signature.
Students can also register at the Services to Students with Disabilities (SSD) office, University Hall, Room 183.