Students are required to follow the university's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses.
Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal From the University
Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the University’s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal University procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to petition for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term.
Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures are available from the Office of the Registrar, UH 171 and/or phone 909-537-7671. Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from the University regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid withdraws during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.
Withdrawal From the University
- If a student drops a class or withdraws from the university by the last day to drop, CENSUS, no record will be made of enrollment in the course(s). (See semester class schedule for "Refund of Fees" to determine eligibility for a refund.
- A drop or withdrawal will not be permitted after the last day to drop, CENSUS, except in cases involving accident or illness (physical or mental), serious personal or family problems, military transfer, or substantial change in employment during the term. (See semester class schedule for "Refund of Fees" to determine eligibility for a refund.)
- A GRADE OF "W" WILL BE ASSIGNED for approved drops and withdrawals occurring after the CENSUS date. If a student drops a class or withdraws from the university by the last day to drop (CENSUS) no record will be made of enrollment in the course(s). (See semester class schedule for "Refund of Fees" to determine eligibility for a refund.)
- A GRADE OF “WU” WILL BE ASSIGNED (Withdrawal Unauthorized) if and when a student fails to officially drop from a class or classes. This is graded equivalent to an F and will retain fees.
By last day to drop, (Census):
Record of enrollment will not be made if a student withdraws from all classes (or drops a class) by the specific CENSUS date of each semester*. To withdraw from all classes, students can now withdraw over myCoyote, through their Student Center. Questions regarding this process should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar, Registration Services in UH-171 or by calling 909-537-7671.
After (Census) and through the 12th week of classes: (Spring and Fall Semesters Only*)
A request to Petition to Drop After Census will be required along with supporting documentation. Use the online Permission Request from your myCoyote Student Center to submit Petition To Drop After Census.
Withdrawing in the 13th through 15th week of class instruction: (Spring and Fall Semesters Only*)
Withdrawing after the 12th week of instruction is not permitted unless extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control have occurred and supporting documentation is required. Undergraduate students must petition with the Academic Advising, visit UH-329 or contact 909-537-7345. For graduate, credential and post-baccalaureate students, please petition with the Office of Graduate Studies, CE-356.
*Withdrawal procedures for the Summer term should be referred to the Summer Class Schedule for specific instructions and deadlines.
Requests for withdrawal from a course(s) following the end of the term (retroactive withdrawal) will be considered, with required documentation, only for:
- ACCIDENT OR ILLNESS (physical or mental)
Police Report, note from physician
- SERIOUS PERSONAL or FAMILY PROBLEMS
Licensed clergyman or therapist, needs to be a professional
- MILITARY TRANSFER
Transfer papers or military orders
Note: Rental agreements or change of address are not sufficient for documentation of retroactive withdrawal. Transfer out of the area still requires students to drop courses before the refund deadline date. Documentation is required. In addition, extenuating circumstances MUST be shown to have prevented withdrawal before the refund deadline date. Partial retroactive withdrawal from courses is not permissible for any reason. All courses must be withdrawn and will be noted with a "W" on the official transcript. Lack of awareness of the withdrawal procedure is not an extenuating circumstance.