Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region


Employment FAQ


Permission to work must be approved before employment begin. As a student visa holder, student's primary purpose is to study full time. Students on F-1 vias are allowed to work up to 20 hours (on campus. Employment is very limited for F-1 visa holders. They are not allowed to work outside campus without prior approval.

What Is Academic Training (J-1)?

Academic Training allows J-1 students 18 months of work authorization during their academic program or after graduation.

More information on Academic Training for J-1 Students

What Is a Social Security Number?

A social security number is required for individuals with work authorization.  This number is unique to everyone and can be obtain from a local Social Security Administration office.

Only students with proper work authorization need to apply for a social security number.  To obtain a social security card, students will need to complete the application for Social Security Card Form SS-5. Please note that applications for social security cards are free.  In addition to SS-5 form, students must provide the following evidence of immigration status:

  • An offer letter from the employer;
  • A valid I-20 (F-1 student) or DS 2019 (J-1 student) form;
  • A valid I-94 record;
  • A valid visa stamp;
  • A valid passport

Check the Social Security Administration’s website to find a local Social Security office near your home address.  Learn about Social Security's policy on issuing Social Security numbers to non-citizens.