Main Content Region

Hosting International Scholars at CSUSB

CISP Hosting International Scholars at CSUSB
CISP Hosting International Scholars at CSUSB

CISP administers the international scholar exchange program for CSUSB. Scholars may be invited to the University for periods ranging from a few days to a year to collaborate on research. All scholars need an invitation and sponsorship from an academic department for visa support. Please contact the Associate Dean Ryan Griffith for additional information.

Visiting Scholars

Every year CSUSB receives international faculty and scholars that collaborate with our campus in various capacities: tenure-track faculty, visiting professors, and short-term scholars. The Center for International Studies and Programs assists academic departments and other CSUSB constituencies in producing the J-1 visa documentation needed to sponsor faculty and scholars' non-immigrant statutes prior to their arrival to campus.

CISP works to attract international faculty and visitors to CSUSB and to provide personal, logistical, and academic assistance to them during their short or extended stays on campus. This support includes help with making contacts in all university departments to obtain letters of invitation and to maximize the contributions of international scholars' visits.

Info for Academic Units

Academic units may sponsor J-1 scholars in the capacities of visiting professors, research scholars, or short-term scholars. Sponsoring international scholars does not mean the department is responsible for financially support the scholar, although in some instances they may provide a stipend for teaching a class or for providing the unit a particular service (e.g. collaborative research).

Every visiting scholar should secure a letter of invitation from a sponsoring academic unit. The letter must come from the chair or dean, stating the intention to host the scholar in the department. Connections to academic departments usually come through CSUSB faculty or via an established MOU.

Academic departments seeking to sponsor a visiting scholar please contact Associate Dean Ryan Griffith via Email: .

Verification of English Proficiency

As required by J-1 visa regulation, all visiting scholar need to provide evidence that his/her English skills are sufficient to live and conduct research in the United States. One of the following English language verification options:

OPTION 1. Evidence of citizenship of a country whose official language is English. 
OPTION 2. A degree from a postsecondary institution whose language of instruction is English (If outside the U.S, please add a letter from the registrar that the official language is taught in English.) 
OPTION 3. Evidence of having obtained the minimum required scores on a recognized English language test: TOEFL of 61 iBT/500 paper based; equivalent, TOEIC, IELTS, CEFR or ITEP score; or CET 6. Only test scores from within the past five years will be considered. 
OPTION 4. Skype interview with CSUSB sponsoring department by the faculty mentor. 
OPTION 5. Interview with an English professor of a university who present written comments. 

If you have any questions, please contact Associate Dean Ryan Griffith,