Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Scholarships and Other Opportunities

student with money

Department Scholarships

DEADLINE: March 2, 2022

Scholarships Available

  • WLL scholarship is available to a CSUSB student in any major within the Department of World Languages and Literatures ($400 – 1 per year)
  • The Switzer Scholarship is available to any student participating in the CSU-IP program in France (Aix-En-Provence or Paris) or Quebec (Canada). (Amount varies.)
  • The Ochoa and Fernandez Family Scholarship is available to a Spanish major participating in the CSU-IP program in a Spanish-speaking country. Minimum GPA: 3.2 ($1,000)
  • Acto Latino Scholarship is available to CSUSB Undocumented and/or Green Card Holder students that are majoring/minoring in Spanish, including Graduate students. Minimum GPA: 3.0 ($500)
  • First Generation Acto Latino Scholarship is available to CSUSB first-generation college students that are majoring/minoring in Spanish, including Graduate students. Minimum GPA: 3.0 ($1,500 - 2 per year)
  • Costa Rica CASLA Scholarship is available to a student participating in the Costa Rica Study Abroad program through CSUSB. ($400)
  • French Summer Program CASLA scholarship is for students participating in an approved program of at least three weeks in a French-speaking country. ($400)
  • Korean Studies and Engagement Scholarship supports outstanding CSUSB students who have demonstrated a sustained commitment to Korean studies and plan to incorporate Korean studies into their future career (up to $500).
  • Korea Scholarship is available to CSUSB students that satisfy one of the following:
    • Accepted to an approved CSUSB Summer Study Abroad Program in South Korea (up to $500).

    • Accepted to a CSU International Program in South Korea (up to $5,000).

Application Process

Separate applications must be submitted for each scholarship.

Each scholarship has different criteria and a different funding cycle. Scholarships will be awarded in the Spring for use during the upcoming Fall term. Scholarships will be administered by the Financial Aid Office.

Not all scholarships are awarded each year (please read the details below). 

Preferred minimum GPA: 3.0 unless otherwise specified

Each application requires a one-page (double-spaced, 12 pt font) essay explaining the following:

  1. Why you are applying for this scholarship?
  2. What makes you a good candidate for the scholarship? 
  3. Why are you pursuing this degree?
  4. Why are you interested in this Study Abroad Program (if applicable)?
  5. If applying to the French Summer Program CASLA scholarship, which program are you attending?
  6. If applying to the Korean Scholarship, which program are you attending?

Apply online using the Department Scholarship ApplicationNote: You will need to log in to your myCoyote before completing the application.

If you have difficulty reading or using this form, please contact us at 909-537-5848 or UH-007.

Other Scholarships Available

Other Opportunities

Summer Work Abroad

In addition to the year abroad programs offered through the CSU-IP program, students can also participate in the summer Work Abroad program offered through the International Cooperative Education program. You will be placed in a job overseas and assisted in finding lodging.  This will maximize your opportunities to interact with the people and culture. Most jobs are paid.

Ashley Reynolds (graduated in 2007) participated in Summer 2005. Read about her experiences on her blog site. Academic credit may be available.

Teach English in France with the Assistantship Program

If you are an American citizen between the ages of 20 and 30 with a proficiency in French and an interest in education, then the Teaching Assistantship Program in France is for you! The teaching assistant program in France offers you the opportunity to work in France for 7 to 9 months, teaching English to French students of all ages. Each year, nearly 1,500 American citizens and permanent residents teach in public schools across all regions of metropolitan France and in the overseas departments of French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion.