Main Content Region

Independent Contractor Waiver

The Independent Contractor and the Guest Lecturer waiver forms are essentially the same in that they are submitted by individuals who wish to provide services to the campus and are willing to hold the University harmless for any damages they may suffer as a result of performing those services, which may be paid or un-paid. Such waivers do not take the place of any required insurance.

Independent Contractors:

General Independent Contractors are individuals, in business for themselves, who provide services such as lecturing, speaking, clerical, or other special trades. The University and its Auxiliary Organizations at CSUSB require any Independent Contractor to register before doing any work on or off campus for the University or CSUSB Auxiliary.

A hold harmless/waiver/release is required for any Independent Contractor to do work for University departments, regardless of the size of the contractor or contract. Contact Accounts Payable or Purchasing & Contracts Administration for information.

An Independent Contractor doing work through the University Enterprise Corporation (UEC) must first register with UEC and complete the appropriate forms.
Likewise, any independent contractor doing work for any California State University, Auxiliary, such as the University Enterprise Corporation, the Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU) or the Associated Students Inc. (ASI) requires each Auxiliary’s Independent Contractor forms.

If an individual is hired as an independent contractor, then the University will (a) determine contractually who will be responsible for any travel expenses, (b) include CSU insurance and indemnification language in any agreement, including a minimum amount of automobile liability coverage of at least $100,000/$300,000 if any driving is anticipated, and (c) require the independent contractor to follow all University policies and procedures while working on campus and/or with University employees, volunteers and students. The University will not issue a travel authorization for any associated travel. Independent contractors (a) are not covered by the University’s Workers’ Compensation program, (b) may not drive University vehicles, and (c) are not covered under the State's automobile liability program.

To request an Independent Contractor Hold Harmless/Waiver/Release, contact Risk Management at x73939.

Guest Lecturers:

A guest lecturer should first go through the College or Department hosting the lecturer who then submits the required paperwork to Accounts Payable prior to the performance of any service.

Guest/Special Lecturer Invoice