The Office of Student Research is happy to announce a new partnership with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship that will offer eligible undergraduate students the opportunity to earn money while conducting research with a faculty member.
The Undergraduate Success Research Assistantship Program (USRA), funded by the Learning Aligned Employment Program (LAEP), offered by the California Student Aid Commission, provides financial support to help ease their educational costs while gaining education-aligned, career-related employment.
USRA funds students of all class and experience levels to work with faculty who need assistance on their own research projects. Students obtain valuable out-of-class experience, while faculty are able to hire Research Assistants (RAs) to get the help they need.
Students must check eligibility before they can participate. Placement is not guaranteed. Students who have been awarded Federal Work-study and are currently employed do not qualify for this program.
To be eligible, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an undergraduate
- Have filed a FAFSA/CADAA for the 23-24 academic year.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and have financial need.
- Enrolled at least half-time at CSUSB.
- All majors accepted.
All faculty are welcome to apply. However, you must submit a request to the Research & Creative Activities Database.
- Submit an Eligibility Request. The Office of Financial Aid will review to determine if the student qualifies for the program. Students will be notified if they are eligible to participate by the OSR.
- Submit Job Application Request Form. Students who are eligible to participate must submit a job request form that includes their CV/Resume, personal statement, and transcripts.
- Mentor Placement.
- For students who have a mentor, their mentor will be notified of the next steps.
- For students who do not have a mentor, they will be placed on our list and the OSR will assist with finding a placement. Placement is not guaranteed.
- Research Assistant Request. Faculty mentors will be contacted and asked to complete the RA request form. This form will confirm the student’s placement and initiate the hiring process. Please note that the hiring process may take up to two weeks or processing.
- Work Authorization. Once the student has completed the hiring process, they will receive a work authorization email, and will be permitted to begin working.
To learn if you qualify for this program, please complete the interest form below, and someone will contact you with information.
USRA pairs undergraduate students with varying levels of research experience with faculty who need assistance on their own research projects. Faculty mentor's responsibilities will include setting students' weekly schedules, confirming hours reported on timesheets, providing valuable hands-on experience and quality mentorship.
Faculty may encourage their current students to apply for the program if they meet the eligibility requirements. Faculty who are interested in serving and recruiting student researchers are encouraged to submit to the RSCA database and select "YES" for Research Assistant. The OSR staff will reach out to you with the applicant's information for your review, coordinate the introductions, and handle all paperwork related to their employment.
This program is funded by the Learning–Aligned Employment Program.
LAEP allows a participating student placement in an educationally beneficial position that relates to the student’s area of study, career objective, or the exploration of career objectives. The program includes and emphasizes positions for students with employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, or opportunities to connect with other employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, within their areas of study.
If you have questions please contact Danielle White (email@example.com).