A team roster may have a maximum of 12 players on it. A minimum of 6 players is necessary to compete. The game begins with six players on either team and no one may substitute into a game after it has already started. Others will be available as substitutes. Substitutes may enter the game only in the case of injury.
The official is given sole discretion in matters of delays. The two types of delays are:
- Holding the dodgeball for any amount of time greater than what is needed to complete a play.
- Remaining out of bounds for more time or taking more time than is necessary to retrieve a ball that has gone out of bounds. The official may warn or call a player “ Out “ based, solely, on their discretion for violation of the delay rules.
During play, all players must remain within the boundary lines. Stepping on the line is considered “Out”. The midline will be treated like any other boundary line. The midline extends infinitely, and players may not cross it even when retrieving a ball that is out of bounds. There will be an entry and exit point on each side of each end of the court. Players must enter and exit through this point in order to retrieve dodgeballs that are out of bounds. A player who is retrieving a ball, outside the boundaries is not a legal target
Any player who is outside the boundary lines cannot play a ball.
The Team Bench area and “ Out Zone” (Where players are sent after being called out) are also considered boundary lines. Any player inside one of these areas, who steps on the line or outside of the area, will be penalized. Penalty: Closest player to the infraction will be called out.
The back wall is considered out. Once a ball hits the wall, that ball is treated as if it has hit the ground.
There will be no time outs during games. Teams may only substitute in between games and in case of injury
The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players by getting them “OUT”. This may be done by:
- Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball on or below the shoulders. (A player who intentionally gets hit in the head is also considered “OUT”)
- Catching a ball Thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
- If a player is knocked out but has already thrown a ball, that ball is live.
- A deflected ball can be caught, in which case the player who was hit is not OUT and the player who threw the ball is.
The Game begins by placing six dodgeballs along the centerline. Players then take a position behind their end line. Following a signal by the official, teams may approach the centerline to retrieve the balls. This signal officially starts the contest. Once a ball is retrieved, it must be possessed by a player who has one foot established on or behind the 3 meter line before that ball can be thrown.’ The first team to legally eliminate all opposing players will be declared the winner.
The official ball used in the tournament and league play will be a 7” rhino-skin foam ball. Participants must wear shoes. No black-soled shoes are allowed.
The games will be played in the Coussoulis Arena or Coyote Den. The court will be at least 50 ft long and at least 30 ft wide.
Matches will be decided using a “ best-of-nine” format in which the first team to win five (5) games will be declared the winner.