Interested in becoming a Certified Personal Trainer?
Join our Virtual Certified Personal Trainer Preparation Workshop Series (CPT Prep) starting on Saturday August 29th, 2020. Please check out our Course Syllabus for mandatory dates.
About the Virtual Certified Personal Trainer Preparation Workshop Series (CPT Prep):
At CSUSB Student Recreation & Wellness Center (SRWC), our purpose is to educate and facilitate a learning environment that will prepare aspiring fitness professionals to pass the National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Personal Trainer Exam.
Some of our learning outcomes are listed below:
- Participants will be able to competently apply the theoretical and applied knowledge concepts that are required of an NSCA-CPT.
- Participants will gain experience programming for a client one-on-one for several weeks; which will assist them in developing the soft skills necessary to being a successful personal trainer.
- Participants will gain knowledge of using the virtual personal training platform, PT HUB.
To enroll into the CPT Series, we require proof of purchase (receipt) of the NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training Book from the Coyote Bookstore; book must be ISBN 978-1-4925-7494-1. The textbook is around $140-150 and comes with a study package. If you have taken Professor Jackson’s KIN 270, and have purchased the same book – you are eligible to sign up as well.
Test registration ($226) is highly encouraged but not required post series completion. Please see FAQ’s below.
- I just took KINE 483 with Professor Jackson and just want to sign up for my NSCA CSCS exam; do I have to sit through the CPT course?
- No! As long as you have purchased the right book (Essentials of Strength and Conditioning ISBN 978-1-4925-7496-5). Please send a photo of your ISBN number/book. The CPT course may be helpful to take advantage of if you need some experience!
- I just took KINE 270 with Professor Jackson and just want to sign up for my NSCA CPT exam. I feel ready; do I have to sit through the NSCA CPT course?
- No! Although very helpful; if you don’t feel you need the course please scroll down to our exam registration link. Please be aware we will send out exam registrations at the beginning of each month.
- How much is the NSCA CPT exam and does the SRWC pay for it?
- With the CSUSB discount, the exam comes to $225 (compared to $435). It is important that you purchase the right book (check ISBN) to receive this discount. The SRWC does not pay for the test. *SRWC employees: We pay for one NSCA CPT exam per semester (application required) if course is completed.
- How much is the NSCA CSCS exam and does the SRWC pay for it?
- With the CSUSB discount, the exam comes to $265 (compared to $475). It is important that you purchase the right book (check ISBN) to receive this discount. The SRWC does not pay for the exam.
- Is the NSCA CPT Workshop Series all virtual?
- Yes! Although we miss our in-person course – we have had much success with our virtual training. Students have already passed their NSCA CPT exam from our last class!
- Do I have to sign up for the CPT Exam? I just want to take the course!
- Exam registration is not required however, highly encouraged!
- The book isn’t in the bookstore! How do I get in?
- During this time, we understand that it may be challenging to purchase the book due to funds/stock/etc. Please email Jasmine.Curtis@csusb.edu with your interest and we will enroll you; be aware that the book must be purchased to keep enrollment.
- I currently don't have my CPR/AED Certification; can I still sign up?
Yes! You will need to obtain your CPT/AED certification and provide documentation to the NSCA within 1 year of taking the exam. Be sure to make to look at the NSCA CPT Certification Handbook for acceptable certifications.
How to Sign Up:
Before signing up we ask that you purchase the required text listed above or have taken Professor Jackson’s KIN 270.
- Fill out our CPT Preparation Workshop Series Inquiry Form, a staff member will contact you through email in 1 to 2 business days.
Once you are registered you will receive an email confirmation and Jasmine Curtis will be in contact with you shortly to provide any further instructions prior to Saturday August 29, 2020.