Adventures FAQ

What kind of sleeping accommodations are there?

Depends on the trip that you sign up for. Camping and backpacking trips sleep in tents at a campground. Urban trips may stay at hostels. Some camping trips we do stay at cabins, but that dependson the trip. 

Do we have to drive?

No, the only people that drive are the leaders of the trip. 

How big are the groups?

Most trips range from 5-12 people including leaders. Occasional trips have up to 24 people. Group size for custom trips range.

What if I don’t get along with someone else on the trip?

If an issue or conflict arises stay calm and communicate with the trip leaders. The trip leaders will do their best to accommodate you and the other individual. The goal is to respect one another,as well as use compassion and kindness in dealing with resolving conflict.

Do you offer custom group trips?

Yes we offer custom trips. If you’re interested please email to schedule a meeting to discuss your group’s needs.

What do we do if we encounter wildlife?

Depending on the location there will be different types of wildlife - leaders are trained during their briefing to know what to do in case we come across wildlife.

Where do we meet?

All trips meet at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on the San Bernardino campus unless otherwise noted.

What kind of food will we have?

There is generally a variety of meals; we always try to include deliciousness and nutritional values for meals. If you have any suggestions or allergies please inform Adventure staff, we also accommodateVegans, milk-intolerant and vegetarian individuals. 

Where do I park on campus during my trip?

Park in Parking Lot G which is right in front of the SRWC. Parking permits are required. Contact Parking Services for more information.

How are leaders trained?

Leaders are trained for a whole quarter and complete extensive workshops where they will become competent enough to lead these trips. They also get these certifications: Wilderness First Aid, CPR,Smith’s Driving and Food Handlers. 

Can I cancel my registration?

Yes. If you decide to cancel or are no longer able to attend you may be charged a cancelation fee – visit the Adventure webpage for more details.

How do I become an Adventure Leader?

Every quarter we offer an Adventure Leadership Program (ALP). Check out the Leadership Program link to the left more current information. 

How can I pay for the trip?

We accept cash, check, MasterCard and Visa.

Who leads the trips?

Trips are led by CSUSB students, faculty and staff. All leaders have go through the Adventure Leadership Program and are trained is first aid, CPR, emergency response, and driving safety.

How do I sign up?

Registration at the San Bernardino Campus takes place in person at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Registration at the Palm Desert Campus take place at RG203.

What is included in the price of the trip?

Transportation, most meals, equipment, and amazing memories.  The trip participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the meeting location on the first and last day of thetrip, which is generally the SRWC on the San Bernardino campus.  

How physically fit do I need to be?

Different levels of fitness are required for different trips. The physical exertion and difficulty of trips range from Easy Going (activity level 1) to Epic (activity level 4) – visit the Adventurewebpage for more details.  

Do you rent outdoor equipment?

Yes we do. Check out the Adventure Rental webpage for a complete list of gear available as well as rates and rental policies.

Do I need to have previous experience?

You do not. All our trips include instruction, however some trips require various levels of fitness.

What is your policy on drugs and alcohol?

We have a strict no drugs, tobacco, smoking or alcohol policy for the duration of all our trips. We also do not allow pets, fireworks, or firearms.

Who can go on trips?

Trips are open to CSUSB students, faculty, staff, Alumni Association members and affiliates (those who live with a member). These people are also able to sponsor up to 2 adults to join them on thetrip at the community rate. Community members are only eligible to go on trips if sponsored by a trip participant.

Will there be bathrooms?

With camping trips we usually stay in designated campsites with running water and toilets. With backpacking trips we may spend days at a time without a toilet and will learn to use the woods asour restroom. See specific trip for more on specific accommodations. 

What trips do you offer?

Trips include camping, backpacking, hiking, cultural, service, rafting, surfing, kayaking and snowboarding to name a few. Adventure is also proud to sponsor TRACKS, the Alternative Break Program.TRACKS stands for travel, recreation, adventure, culture, knowledge, and service.

Will there be electricity?

Don’t count on it. We encourage you try to spend some time away from your phone and laptop.

Will I have mobile phone reception?

It depends on the location. We recommend leaving your phone on airplane mode and use it for taking pictures.

Can non-CSUSB students attend?

Yes. Non-CSUSB students can be sponsored by a SRWC member or someone eligible to be a SRWC member.