NSCA Certified Personal Trainer Exam (CPT) Exam Information:
CSUSB Student Recreation and Wellness Center has partnered with National Strength and Conditioning Association to provide those who qualify with a discount to take the Certified Personal Trainer Exam.
Ready to take NSCA Certified Personal Trainer Exam (CPT)?
Awesome! We are happy to help you register for the CPT Exam; there are several prerequisites you must complete prior to registration.
CPT Exam Prerequisites:
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or an equivalent, and
- Candidates must have a current CPR/AED certification. (refer to Certification Handbook linked below for acceptable CPR/AED certifications)
From the NSCA Website:
- Please check out the NSCA CPT Certification Handbook!
- Documentation only needs to be submitted if candidate indicated they did not hold a current CPR/AED certification when completing the registration process.Individuals that do not have current CPR/AED certification can still register and take the exam; however, a copy of valid CPR/AED certification must be received within 1-year of exam date.
- Certification will not be granted until ALL of the eligibility requirements have been met. Candidates have one (1) year from their exam date to submit documentation demonstrating completion of all eligibility criteria.
- Exam results become invalid if acceptable eligibility documentation is not received within one (1) year of exam date.
If you believe you fulfill these exam prerequisites, please fill out our CPT Exam Inquiry Form
- I just took KINE 483 with Professor Jackson and just want to sign up for my NSCA CSCS exam; do I have to sit through the CPT course?
- No! As long as you have purchased the right book (Essentials of Strength and Conditioning ISBN 978-1-4925-7496-5). Please send a photo of your ISBN number/book. The CPT course may be helpful to take advantage of if you need some experience!
- I just took KINE 270 with Professor Jackson and just want to sign up for my NSCA CPT exam. I feel ready; do I have to sit through the NSCA CPT course?
- No! Although very helpful; if you don’t feel you need the course please scroll down to our exam registration link. Please be aware we will send out exam registrations at the beginning of each month.
- How much is the NSCA CPT exam and does the SRWC pay for it?
- With the CSUSB discount, the exam comes to $225 (compared to $435). It is important that you purchase the right book (check ISBN) to receive this discount. The SRWC does not pay for the test. *SRWC employees: We pay for one NSCA CPT exam per semester (application required) if course is completed.
- How much is the NSCA CSCS exam and does the SRWC pay for it?
- With the CSUSB discount, the exam comes to $265 (compared to $475). It is important that you purchase the right book (check ISBN) to receive this discount. The SRWC does not pay for the exam.
- Is the NSCA CPT Workshop Series all virtual?
- Yes! Although we miss our in-person course – we have had much success with our virtual training. Students have already passed their NSCA CPT exam from our last class!
- Do I have to sign up for the CPT Exam? I just want to take the course!
- Exam registration is not required however, highly encouraged!
- The book isn’t in the bookstore! How do I get in?
- During this time, we understand that it may be challenging to purchase the book due to funds/stock/etc. Please email Jasmine.Curtis@csusb.edu with your interest and we will enroll you; be aware that the book must be purchased to keep enrollment.
- I currently don't have my CPR/AED Certification; can I still sign up?
Yes! You will need to obtain your CPT/AED certification and provide documentation to the NSCA within 1 year of taking the exam. Be sure to make to look at the NSCA CPT Certification Handbook for acceptable certifications.
How to Register for CPT Exam:
CSUSB Student Recreation and Wellness Center has partnered with National Strength and Conditioning Association to provide those who qualify with a discount to take the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist Exam.
- We ask that you fill out our CPT Exam Inquiry Form, a staff member will contact you through email in 1 to 2 business days.
- Once a staff member has reached out to you, you will be able to sign up for the course using the Exam Registration Form.
- You will need to sign in using MyCoyote credentials.
- Select Register!