Main Content Region


H1B Visa

H-1B visa are standard professional work visas. It requires a specialty occupation positions which is considered highly specialized knowledge and a minimum a bachelor’s degree in the related field.

Six-Year Maximum

Individuals hold  H-1B status for a maximum of six years. The initial H-1B status can be granted for up to three years, and next extended up to three additional years.

After six years in H-1B status,  the H-1B holder must leave the United States for one year before an employer can file a new H-1B petition, or have a green card approved.  There is a possibility to obtain a 7th year extension in certain circumstances. Please consult with CISP H-1B advisor for additional details.

Employer Specific  

H-1B holders can only work for the employer whose name is listed on their H-1B petition.  In order to begin working at CSUSB on any H-1B, CSUSB has to first file any application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. 

Dual Intent Visa 

H-1B  visas are dual intent visas, which means an H-1B holder can  be  in H status while pursuing a permanent residence in the United States.