In order for a project team (PI, grant administrator, researchers) to begin spending on a sponsored award, certain steps must be taken in order to set up the account or authorize pre-award spending. Intended for administrators, this section covers Notice of Grant Award, Account Set Up, Entering Sponsored Budgets, and Pre-Award Spending.
Notice of Grant Award
A notice of grant award-also referred , sponsor notice, or award letter-is a notification from a sponsor indicating that a proposal has been funded. Notice of grant awards are typically received by the pre-award offices, although on occasion a PI may be notified directly. This notification may require the signature of an authorized University official. Notices should be forwarded to the pre-award office for review and processing.
Review of Terms and Conditions
Before accepting an award on behalf of the University, ORSP reviews all terms and conditions, regardless of the sponsor, and is responsible for negotiating appropriate remedies if an award fits into one of the following categories:
- contains provisions that are incompatible with the University's policies on sponsored research
- inconsistent with government-wide regulations for universities
- fails to include all elements agreed upon prior to the award
- requires modification to conform to the Principal Investigator's needs
When the notice of grant award and related terms and conditions are accepted by the University, an account activating the award is set up.
- Account Set-up
- Entering Sponsored Budgets in the GL
- Before Spending Sponsored Funds