Main Content Region

Export Controls

 Export Control Regulations

U.S, laws regulate the distribution of strategically important technology, services, and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries.  Export regulations help to protect U.S. national security, U.S. Economic Competiveness, Prevent the proliferation of WMD/Terrorism, and support International Treaties and U.S. Foreign Policy. Non-compliance with federal requirements can result in large fines, penalties, and other sanctions.  To adhere to federal export control regulations CSUSB requires its faculty, staff, and students to comply with the export control regulations of the U.S.

If you will be conducting research abroad, you need to consider export control issues that will likely impact your research and travel. Examples of activities impacted by export control regulations include:

Direct export of a controlled item;

Access and/or use of a controlled item by a foreign national;

Travel to a restricted country;

International and domestic collaborations;

Conversations involving controlled technology; and

Taking or shipping a controlled item out of the U.S., such as a laptop.

The U.S. government maintains several export control regulations that may impact research conducted at CSUSB. The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) under the U.S. Dept. of Commerce regulate exports of commercial items and technology with potential military applications. These are also referred to as dual-use items. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) under the U.S. Dept. of State regulate exports of items and services specifically designed for military applications. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) under the U.S. Dept. of Treasury prohibits certain transactions with countries subject to boycotts, trade sanctions, and embargoes. 

Please note a ‘deemed export’ includes releasing, furnishing, showing or disclosing export controlled technical information to a Non-U.S. Person, even in the U.S., is considered to be a ‘deemed’ export to the home country(ies) of the Non-U.S. Person.

The CSU Office of General Counsel Export Control Flowchart can be used to determine if export control regulations apply to you. Information on sanctions can be found at the U.S Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Controls.

The California State University Export Controls Manual is also an excellent resource to answer your export control questions. 

Licenses from the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Department of Commerce may be required to export. 

If your sponsored research might be subject to export control or you have questions regarding export control compliance, contact Michael Gillespie, Research Compliance Officer, at or (909) 537-7588.