Main Content Region


BASW Program:

How long does it take to complete the program?

Two years. The social work courses are offered in sequence; therefore, the time cannot be shortened.

How many students will be accepted?

Due to social work being an impacted program, space is limited. For this reason, it is best to turn in your application on or before the December deadline.

How do I find out what I need to do to get into the BASW program?

We highly encourage you attend one of the BASW Information Sessions. Additionally, review the Admissions and Roadmap to Graduation webpages. If you have specific questions, you can set up an advising appointment with

What is the difference between the Sociology Department's Social Service Track and the BASW?

The BASW within the School of Social Work is a nationally accredited program taught by professional social workers and includes a nine-month internship.

Who do I see for advising?

Please contact the School of Social Work (909) 537-3155 or email for an appointment.

Applying to the Program:

How do I get into the BASW program?

First-Time Freshmen: Apply to CSUSB via Cal State Apply and during your sophomore year start looking into the BASW supplemental program application to be eligible to begin in the junior year.

Transfer Students: Simultaneously apply to the university via Cal State Apply and complete the BASW supplemental program application.

The application for the BASW program can only be found on our admissions webpage. To receive admission into the program you must complete, or be close to completing the prerequisite courses; have an overall GPA of 2.5; achieve junior status; and earn at least a C grade in SW 2000.

When can I apply?

Students should submit a completed application packet beginning in October. We recommend the application packet be submitted to the School of Social Work before or on the December deadline.

Can I enter the program for a term other than fall?

No. Students enter only in the fall term due to the sequencing of the program.

Can I still be considered for admission if I still have prerequisite courses I will be taking in the summer?

Yes. The summer course(s) will be considered as work in progress pending the final grade in the summer course(s).

I am a transfer student, what courses should I take?

If you have been accepted to CSUSB, please review your PAWS report for guidance. If you are interested in applying to the program, please make an appointment with our department for advising by contacting

I am a first-time freshman new student, what courses should I take?

Freshmen students should take SW 2000 in their second year, complete their English and Math requirements. Over the next two years, students should be working on completing the prerequisite equivalent courses for the BASW program and most of the CSUSB general education courses.


Do I have to take the exact prerequisite courses?

Applicants must complete or be close to completing all of the specified prerequisite courses or their equivalents before they can be accepted into the BASW Program. Equivalent courses may be taken at community colleges. The only course you are required to take before starting the program in SW 2000 – Introduction to Social Work. However, you do not need to have this course completed before applying. If admitted into the program you are guaranteed a seat in the summer SW 2000 course at CSUSB.

Do all the prerequisite courses need to be met before I apply?

Most of them need to have been met. SW 2000 (introduction to Social Work) is the one prerequisite that must be completed before a student can begin the program in the Fall. If you have some classes you still need to complete but are in the process of taking them or you plan to take them before the start of the Social Work program in the Fall, you can still apply. Feel free to contact our office to see if it is feasible for you to apply.

Can I substitute Sign Language or another foreign language for Spanish?

Spanish is the language skill most needed in the Inland Empire. No other language can be substituted for Spanish; however, students have the option of satisfying this prerequisite in many ways. Please contact our office for additional information.

I have taken an Introduction to Social Work course, why do I have to take it again at CSUSB?

The SW 2000 (Introduction to Social Work) course at CSUSB is designed to give an overview of the Social Work profession and work with students in deciding if social work is the correct career path for them. Several local community colleges offer equivalent courses. A limited number of students at the community colleges may also use the cross enrollment process to take SW 2000 at CSUSB while still a student at the community college. If you have taken an Introduction to Social Work course at a Council on Work Education (CSWE) accredited program, it may be considered an equivalent course. Please contact Professor Watson for additional information.  


How many hours is the field practicum and how am I placed?

The field requirement is 16 hours per week, 240 hours per semester of the senior year. In the junior year, students are surveyed for their placement preferences and needs. The School of Social Work arranges all placements and students are notified by the end of their junior year.  

Can I complete the field practicum on weekends or in the evenings?

No. We cannot guarantee weekend and/or evening field placements that meet both the expectations and requirements of our School of Social Work, or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).