Admission to the MSW program is based on an examination of an admission application. In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific minimum requirements for admission consideration are:
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; before the MSW Program begins in the Fall
2. A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better in all course work; or
3. A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better in the last 90 quarter units or last 60 semester units; *A GPA of 2.8 or higher (cumulative or last 60 semester units/last 90 quarter units) may be considered with significant social service experience and overall application. GPA Calculator.
4. An academic background in the liberal arts; with social and behavioral sciences preferred;
5. Paid social work-related employment, internship, or volunteer service (the equivalent of at least one year of full-time experience, i.e., 2,080 hours), is preferred, but applicants with less experience will be considered.
6. Evidence of personal qualifications, motivation, and experience that indicate likelihood of becoming a successful social worker; an autobiographical statement and references from individuals who are familiar with the student's work, academic background, potential for social work practice, and level of maturity;
7. A course in each of the following:
- Social Science Research Methods
- Human Behavior
- Human Physiology
Candidates may be conditionally admitted into the MSW program if they have not met all the prerequisites. However, all prerequisites must be successfully completed before MSW coursework begins in the Fall term. The Prerequisite Course Summary can assist you in determining if courses you have already taken or courses you plan to take meet the prerequisite educational domains for admission. Prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a passing grade.
A GRE is not required.
Additional Requirements for MSW Advanced Standing
- BASW from a CSWE Accredited program within the past five years. (June 2017 graduates or more recent.)
- 3.5 overall GPA or 3.5 GPA for last 60 semester units /90 quarter units