Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the average student: teacher ratio across all MSW classes?

MSW classes have 28 students or less.

Do you provide advising for those interested in applying?

Interested applicants with questions regarding applying to the program can send an email to One-on-one consultations are limited however most questions can be answered by reading through the information presented on the website and attending an MSW Information Session where you will connect directly with Admission Faculty and Staff.

Are career services available?

Students receive the following while in the MSW Program: field training, career development coaching, resources to current employment postings, and networking opportunities that connect students to future employers.

The CSUSB Career Center is also a resource for students

What program gives you a stipend?

The School of Social Work participates in the statewide CalSWEC Title IV-E Stipend Program. Students interested in a career in public child welfare may apply for CSUSB School of Social Title IV-E Stipend Program. Selected students receive financial support.



Does the school have a clinical track and if so in which areas?

Our MSW program curriculum follows an advanced generalist model. Building on the generalist model in the foundation year, students move on to consideration of advanced practice in the second year. Students choose their specialization in a social issue, client population, or field of practice, and apply advanced class assignments and their research project to this chosen specialization.

Can I transfer in any of my coursework or experience?

Please refer to the current MSW Student Handbook under Policies on transfer credit and waivers.

Are there additional MSW exam fees, lab fees, or other fees?

There are no additional fees.

Can I work and still access this degree?

Many students complete this program in 3 years while working. In order to successfully complete the MSW program while being employed, employment hours cannot conflict with student’s ability to 1) Put in the 16 hours per week (during their foundation year) and 20 hours per week (during their advanced year) that a field placement requires, 2) Attending classes and maintaining required GPA while in the program, and 3) Participate in required trainings, events, and Field Seminar.

How much inter-student interaction is there?

There is usually a significant amount of inter-student interaction such as work groups in and out of the classroom. Most interactions are initiated by students for support so the amount would differ per student. Our student organizations are very active within the program, university, and community.


Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Social Sciences?

It is preferred. However, the requirement is a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Admissions Requirements

How many hours of non-class time is typical for the average student?

On the days that you are not in class, you will be attending your field practicum. The practicum is 16 hours/week in the foundation year, and 20 hours per week in the advanced year. In regards to other non-class time, time varies considerably as it would depend on your level of involvement with campus activities/organizations and time spent studying, research, and homework.

How can I meet the prerequisites for admission?

The Prerequisite Course Summarycan assist you in determining if courses you have already taken or courses you plan to take meet the prerequisite educational domains for admission

How much one-on-one time is available?

Faculty and staff are available during regular office hours for one-on-one advising and at times outside of their office hours. The amount of time depends on the needs and availability of the student.

How much does it cost?

CSUSB is one of the most affordable options for pursuing an MSW degree in the state of California. Current tuition for the 2 year program and 3 year program is approximately $4,200 per semester. Total tuition for the 2 year program is $16,832.52. Total tuition for the 3 year program is $25,248.78. Please note that cost may vary and subject to change. For up-to-date information regarding tuition and fees, please consult Student Financial Services.


The Pathway Distance Education Program is currently $39,000 @ 650.00 per unit.

What is the School's MSW program ranking? ranks CSUSB School of Social Work, Pathway Distance Education Program the 2nd best online program.

What financial resources can help with paying for the MSW Program?

The Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Graduate Studies are great resources to assist with financial support.

What can I do with this degree?

The Masters in Social Work is internationally recognized. There are MSWs working all over the nation and the globe. This is not the case with many other Masters degrees in counseling that vary from state to state. The MSW has 'quality assurance' in that the Council on Social Work Education accredits all programs. This means that employers know they hire a quality professional whose classroom and field curriculum have standards assuring professional competence.

Social workers are the #1 provider of mental health services in the country, in both public and private organizations. They are the dominant professional in public child welfare-social services to children and families facing multiple challenges. They work in hospitals, services to older and aging adults, school settings, and even in industry-with employee assistance programs. Some work in private practice, however, many do both private practice and agency work. They work as direct practitioners, supervisors, consultants, policy analysts, administrators, and part-time teachers in college settings.

The Field of Social Work

What is the typical weekly schedule?

Students attend classes 2 days a week. Class schedules will run from 10:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m. for daytime cohorts, and 5:30 p.m. - 9:45 p.m. for evening cohorts, twice a week for every semester. You are in field practicum on the other 2 days per week in your foundation year and 2.5 days per week in your advanced year. You can refer to MSW Curriculum for Sample Schedules for the Two Year MSW Program Plan & Three Year MSW Program Plan.


When will I be notified of acceptance or denial?

Letters of notification regarding admission into the Social Work program are emailed in early Spring and until slots are full. All applicants will receive a letter of notification stating whether their application was accepted or denied.

What fieldwork/internship opportunities are offered?

The CSUSB, School of Social Work is well known for the large number of internship opportunities including being placed in schools, non-profit sector, public sector, hospitals, correctional facilities, etc. Please consult our Field Education page for details about the field practicum.

How will I know if my application is complete and ready for review?

Applicants can email MSW Admissions at for assistance.