First Year Orientation
Welcome to the Pack and California State University, San Bernardino! We are excited that you have selected CSUSB to pursue your undergraduate education. The Orientation program provides you with key resources and tools to help with your transition into the CSUSB community as you bond with other members of the Coyote community, your peers, and the student Orientation Leaders.
First Year Orientation will consist of:
- Pre-Orientation: online modules to start introducing you to campus and its resources, and get a taste of what it means to be a student at CSUSB,
- Orientation: an on-campus experience which will include connecting with your peers, opportunities to learn more about campus, academic advising, and
- Connections: enhanced fall social programming to connect you to campus and your peers!
When you register for Orientation, you're selecting the date for your on-campus orientation session. Read more below to learn about program dates, details, and all you need to know!
Before You Register for Orientation
There are a few steps you must complete before you register for your Orientation session.
Accept Your Offer of Admission
All students must accept their offer of admission BEFORE June 3. Visit the Admissions Next Steps for information and step-by-step directions.
Once you accept your admissions, please allow 24-48 hours before you register for an Orientation session.
Emergency Contact Information
You are required to complete the Emergency Contact information on your myCoyote Self Service Student Center before registering for Orientation. This information will only be used in case of an emergency and someone needs to be contacted on your behalf. Be sure to keep this information updated with CSUSB.
Review Orientation Cost/Fees and Waiver of Liability
Students who register to participate in the Orientation program agree to the cost of the program, any fees that might be charged, and a waiver of liability. It is important that you read these policies prior to registering for Orientation.
Submit Your Official Transcripts
Final transcripts are due to Admissions and Student Recruitment by July 16. Failure to submit final transcripts by the July 16 deadline will result in your offer for admission being cancelled and you will not be able to register for courses at CSUSB. You do not need to submit final transcripts in order to register for Orientation, but we want to ensure you aware of the deadlines!
For more information on how to submit your final documents, please visit Admissions & Student Recruitment.
- Deadline to register for an Orientation session is June 15 or your admissions will be canceled.
- Due to limited space, it is advised that you register for the first available session.
- You will not be able to register for orientation once a session date has closed.
- Please make sure you do not have any outside conflicts (such as work, classes, etc.) with your scheduled Orientation date. Expect to be on campus for TWO full days; your attendance is required in full in order to have your Orientation hold removed.
Information regarding your Orientation session will be sent to your CSUSB email account.
Registration will open in March 2024.
|Tuesday - Wednesday, June 4 - 5
|Tuesday, May 28
|Thursday - Friday, June 6 - 7
|Thursday, May 30
|Monday - Tuesday, June 10 - 11
|Monday, June 3
Website may not reflect current-time statuses on orientation sessions; visit the registration page via your myCoyote portal to view available sessions.
Your Orientation hold is not removed from your account until you participate in the entire First Year Orientation program. You will not be able to register for classes until your Orientation hold is removed. Please check your CSUSB e-mail account for updates. Orientation information will not be sent to your personal email account.
New Student Orientation is a mandatory program for all newly admitted students that provides you with key resources and tools to help with your transition into the CSUSB community and help continue your journey towards academic success.
Orientation will consist of:
- Pre-Orientation: an online program for you to start getting connected to CSUSB resources, services, and opportunities; available to you 24-48 hours after registering for your orientation date.
- Orientation: an on-campus experience which will include academic advising and course registration (attendance required to remove your orientation hold); and
- Connections: enhanced fall social programming to connect you to campus.
Information regarding your Orientation date will be sent to your CSUSB email address ONLY. Please check that email account for final information and updates.
How to Register for Orientation
How to Register
In order to register for a Orientation session, you will need to:
- Know your Coyote (student) ID number – each student is given a nine-digit identification number upon submission of their application for admission (ex: 000123456). The number is listed on all of the communication set to you by Admissions & Student Recruitment. If you can't locate your Coyote ID, please contact Admissions & Student Recruitment at 909.537.5188.
- Know any scheduling conflicts – Orientation is TWO full days; make sure you plan accordingly to attend the entire session. Your Orientation hold is not removed unless you complete the orientation program in full, and you will not be able to register for courses with this hold.
- Be prepared to provide information for your parent / family member(s) – Our Parent and Family Orientation sessions are offered on the same date as your program. If your parent(s)/family member(s) are interested in receiving more information, make sure you include their name and email address on the page in our registration system. For more information please go to our Parent and Family Orientation page.
- Register for Orientation! - Log into myCoyote. Navigate to the My Tasks tile, in which you will find Orientation Registration. Follow the on-screen instructions to register for your Orientation session.
Making Changes to Your Orientation Session
If you need to change your Orientation date:
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the e-mail be sure to include the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Student ID Number
- Original Orientation date your are registered for
- New Orientation date you want to switch into
- Contact phone number
- Call Orientation and First Year Experience at (909) 537-5233. Please be ready to provide the above information when you call.
NOTE: Changing your Orientation session is subject to availability in another session. If you change your Orientation date more than once, you will be charged an administrative fee of $25 per change. Please review the Program Costs and Fees page.
Advising and Registration
Academic advising connects students with the university community. Advisors are here to help you transition from high school to college by providing accurate information about academic requirements and using campus resources to help you with your educational and career journey at CSUSB. During Orientation, you will participate in a group advising experience. You will learn about academic program requirements, policies, procedures, and other services that will help you achieve academic success.
Pack Enrollment places incoming first-year students in their first-semester classes. This process began to minimize stress, assist in transitioning from high school to college, and help students meet their academic goals. The schedules are a careful mixture of major-required coursework and General Education. Students will have their courses by Orientation, where they will receive guidance on making necessary changes to ensure their success at CSUSB. For more information, please visit Pack Enrollment.
During Orientation, Students will receive guidance on how to make adjustments to their schedules in myCoyote should they require.
Parent and Family Orientation Program
The Parent and Family Orientation program at CSUSB is a separate program that coincides with the first day of the two-day program offered for our first-year students. The Parent and Family Orientation is designed to give you the tools and information necessary to ensure your student's success at CSUSB. During the program we will discuss your rights as a parent or family member, the value of obtaining a degree at CSUSB, financial aid and money management, academic and campus resources, and you will get to connect with other family members who have students attending CSUSB.
For more information, please visit our Parent & Family Orientation page.
Before You Attend Orientation
In order to have a successful Orientation session, be prepared with the following information or requests of you for Orientation.
- Pre-Orientation -- an online program (available 24-48 hours after registering for your Orientation date). This is available on your myCoyote portal, under My Tasks. Please access via Student Log In, not as a Guest. If Student Log In does not allow you access, please allow another 24 hours for system updates! -- This will launch in early April; we will send a notification once available.
- Submit Your Final Transcripts -- your final transcripts are due to CSUSB Admissions and Student Recruitment by July 16, 2024. Failure to submit final transcripts by this deadline will result in your admissions offer being cancelled. We recommend submitting them as soon as possible ahead of your orientation date. You can attend orientation without having submitted them, but we want you to be aware of the deadline!