Welcome to California State University, San Bernardino Palm Desert Campus! We are excited that you have selected CSUSB to pursue your undergraduate education. The Orientation program provides you with key resources and tools to help with your transition into the CSUSB community as you bond with other members of the Coyote community, your peers, and the Orientation Leaders.
Traditionally, our first-year orientation program is a two day day, in-person experience on campus. However, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our 2020 first-year orientation programs will be via an online experience to ensure a safe experience for all participants. Orientation and First Year Experience, along with our campus partners, have created a virtual experience for you to ensure a successful transition to CSUSB.
First Year Orientation 2020
First Year Orientation will consist of:
1) An online Pre-Orientation course via Blackboard (available 24 hours after registering for your webinar session)
2) A webinar experience which will include academic advising and course registration, and
3) Enhanced fall social programming to connect you to campus.
Deadline to register for any session is July 15 or your admissions will be cancelled. In the meantime, explore the university website and prepare to become a part of the Coyote community
Accept Your Offer of Admissions
All students must accept their offer of admission by paying their Enrollment Confirmation Deposit BEFORE June 1; please note that this fee is separate from any Orientation fees. The non-refundable, non-transferable deposit declares your intent to attend Cal State San Bernardino and can be paid through your myCoyote account. Once you pay your confirmation deposit, please allow 24-48 hours before you register for an orientation session. For more information, visit Admissions and Student Recruitment.
Emergency Contact Information
You are required to complete the Emergency Contact information on your myCoyote Self Service Student Center before registering for Orientation. This information will only be used in case of an emergency and someone needs to be contacted on your behalf. Be sure to keep this information updated with CSUSB.
Submit Your Official Transcripts
Partial transcripts are due to Admissions and Student Recruitment by February 15. Failure to submit final transcripts by the July 15 deadline will result in your offer for admission being cancelled and you will not be able to register for courses at CSUSB.
In order to be considered fully admitted to CSUSB, you must submit official transcripts to demonstrate that your final grades and coursework continue to reflect your eligibility to the university, and that you have graduated from high school. Applicants will be considered fully admitted when an admissions officer verifies that the student has completed all coursework in progress at a satisfactory level.
All official transcripts may be mailed to:
CSUSB Admissions & Student Recruitment
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407
Review Orientation Cost / Fees and Waiver of Liability
Students who register to participate in the Orientation program agree to the cost of the program, any fees that might be charged, and a waiver of liability. It is important that you read these policies prior to registering for Orientation.
Once you complete the steps on the First Year Student Checklist, you should be able to register for your Orientation session.
Before You Register
- Deadline to register for any session is July 15 or your admissions will be cancelled.
- Due to limited space, it is advised that you register for the first available session.
- You will not be able to register for orientation once a session date has closed.
- Please make sure you do not have any outside conflicts (such as work, classes, etc.) with the scheduled orientation sessions; plan on three (3) hours for your webinar.
Information regarding your Zoom session will be sent to your CSUSB email account. Be sure you are checking that account for your Zoom session link and details. Also be sure to check your Spam/Junk folder, as some messages have been filtered there.
Orientation registration is now CLOSED.
Monday, June 29
Monday, June 22
|2||Tuesday, June 30||3:00 PM||Tuesday, June 23||CLOSED|
|3||Wednesday, July 1||10:00 AM||Wednesday, June 24||CLOSED|
|4||Tuesday, July 7||10:00 AM||Tuesday, June 30||CLOSED|
|5||Wednesday, July 22||10:00 AM||Wednesday, July 15||CLOSED|
Your Orientation hold is not removed from your account until you attend both days of the orientation programs. You will not be able to register for classes until your Orientation hold is removed.
Please check your CSUSB e-mail account for updates. Orientation information will not be sent to your personal email account.
New Student Orientation is a mandatory program for all newly admitted students that provides you with key resources and tools to help with your transition into the CSUSB community and help continue your journey towards academic success.
First Year Orientation will consist of:
1) an online Pre-Orientation course via Blackboard (available 24 hours after registering for your webinar session)
2) a webinar experience which include advising and course registration information, and
3) enhanced fall social programming to connect you to campus.
Information regarding your Zoom webinar session will be sent to your CSUSB email address ONLY. Please check that email account for your Zoom link and other details.
Keep in Mind
- Space is limited for each orientation date. The earlier you pay your confirmation deposit to accept your offer of admission and complete all other admissions requirements, the more likely you are to obtain the Orientation date of your choice.
- Orientation dates fill up quickly. Dates that were once available may be closed when you revisit them, so have an alternate date in mind.
How to Register
In order to register for an Orientation session, you will need to:
- Know your Coyote (student) ID number – each student is given a nine-digit identification number upon admissions of their application for admission (ex: 000123456). The number is listed on all of the communication set to you by Admissions & Student Recruitment. If you can't locate your Coyote ID, please contact Admissions & Student Recruitment at (909) 537-5188.
- Know your CSUSB Coyote e-mail address – Orientation information will be sent to you electronically to your CSUSB e-mail address, not a personal email address.
- Know any scheduling conflicts – Orientation is a three-hour program; make sure you plan accordingly to attend the entire day. Your Orientation hold is not removed unless you complete the orientation program in full, and you will not be able to register for courses with this hold.
- Be prepared to provide information for your parent / family member(s) – Our Parent and Family Orientation sessions are offered on specific dates. If your parent(s)/family member(s) are interested in receiving more information, make sure you include their name and email address on the page in our registration system. For more information please go to our Parent and Family Orientation page.
- Log into myCoyote.
- Select the Orientation registration link - This will be located under My Tasks, entitled Orientation Registration.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register for your Orientation session.
Making Changes to your Orientation Session
If you need to change your Orientation date:
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the e-mail be sure to include the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Student ID Number
- Original Orientation date your are registered for
- New Orientation date you want to switch into
- Contact phone number
- Call Orientation and First Year Experience at (909) 537-5233. Please be ready to provide the above information when you call.
NOTE: Changing your Orientation session is subject to availability in another session. If you change your Orientation date more than once, you will be changed an administrative fee of $25 per change. Please review the Program Costs and Fees page.
If you need to change one of the following:
- Update Your Contact Information: You can update your information on your myCoyote portal.
Change Your Major: If you have paid your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit, you must change your major with the Office of the Registrar, using the following instructions and guidelines.
If you have not yet paid your deposit, contact Admissions and Student Recruitment at (909) 537-5188 for more information.
Academic advising is an educational process by which you are integrated into the university community. This is accomplished by assisting you in the transition from high school to college, providing accurate information about academic major requirements, promoting learning and utilization of academic and campus resources, and facilitating academic major and career exploration.
During Orientation, you will participate in a group advising experience. You will learn about academic program requirements, academic policies and procedures, and other services that will help you achieve academic success.
You will register for courses after you complete your webinar session. Your Orientation hold will be removed 24-48 hours after your session, at which point you are eligible to enroll in fall courses.
NOTE: Class registration is ONLY available if you do not have any holds on your record. To verify if you have any holds that need to be cleared, please visit your myCoyote Portal.