Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region


Cancellation After Move-In

Your License Agreement is a legal contract. If you are, or will be, a registered Licensee and have completed a License Agreement, you are obligated to the terms of the License Agreement and must therefore appeal to be released from the License Agreement if you wish to have your rental obligation removed. Any Licensee who requests to cancel/vacate the housing facility must submit a Request to Cancel form through the Housing Portal. Cancellation requests should be submitted with at least 30 day notice before the end of the fee period, or intended move out date to avoid additional fees; review of Cancellation Requests my take 5-10 business days before an Administrative Decision Letter is emailed to the License. 

Conditions for Approved Cancellations

  • Licensee is a member of the International Program or National Student Exchange program on a one-semester only exchange
  • Licensee graduates from CSUSB
  • Licensee transfers to another school and provides documentation that he/she will no longer be enrolled at CSUSB
  • Licensee withdraws, or takes educational leave, and does not re-enroll at CSUSB during the contract period
  • Licensee is academically disqualified from CSUSB
  • Licensee is denied admission from CSUSB

Hardship Considerations

The Licensee demonstrates through written appeal and supporting documentation that the request to vacate is due to unforeseen, extraordinary causes or a serious and compelling medical or financial circumstance that the Licensee encountered since the date the contract terms began, and are clearly beyond the control of Licensee. 

Provide Supporting Documentation

Every request for cancellation/release from the License Agreement must be accompanied supporting documentation. While the supporting documentation listed below are the minimum requirements for the submission and consideration of release, it is required that Licensees supply additional information outlining their significant and unforeseen change of circumstances since since the contract period.  

The Cancellation Request reviewer cannot inform you what to provide as each situation is individual. The request reviewer will have no knowledge of your situation other than the information you provide. Submitting documentation and detailed timelines in relation to the License Agreement may be helpful to the committee and explaining your situation in requesting your release from the License Agreement. Documentation for hardship should provide evidence that shows a clear change in circumstance since the start of the contract period.

Common Denied Cancellations

In the event that the Licensee submits a cancellation request to move off-campus or to commute to campus, the Licensee will be charged for room and meal plan fees through the end of the contracted academic year fee period.

Financial Responsibility

A Cancellation Request Form that has been submitted during the fee period, will be charged a penalty equivalent to 30 days of the daily room and meal plan rate for the living unit. The 30 day period will be calculated from the day on which the resident vacates. The Licensee will not be charged penalties even when not providing at least 30 days’ notice in cases of academic disqualification or denied admission. 

Additional Resources

While considering a cancellation for financial reasons, also consider what other resources are available on campus. Depending on the room set up you selected, there may be a more affordable option that you can move into. Additionally, the CSUSB Basic Needs Initiative may be able to provide you in with additional resources, including food assistance, financial assistance, and other resources on campus and in the community.

Cancellation Prior to Contract Period

If you need to cancel your application before move-in, because you will not be attending CSU San Bernardino or no longer plan to live in the residence halls, you must complete the cancellation request through your Housing Portal 30 days prior to the move-in day as stated in the 2021-2022 License Agreement. Notifying any other university office does not substitute for your obligation to cancel with housing. 



Please note, the information located on this page is intended to help you navigate the cancellation clauses in the 2021-2022 License Agreement.  In the event of conflict or dispute of information, the terms and conditions in the 2021-2022 License Agreement shall supersede.