We inspire students to achieve their highest personal potential by providing collaborative residential programs that encourage community, wellness, inclusion and learning.
The Department of Housing and Residential Education will prepare students for living and thriving in an increasingly diverse society though the following:
- Integrate diversity and inclusion knowledge into co-curricular initiatives that enrich the classroom experience.
- Address social justice issues facing our residential population through open and honest dialogue.
- Support staff members as they invest in the development of their own capacities by making the value we place upon diversity visible, practical and purposeful for our staff.
- Become a national model for diversity and inclusion based on best practices.
- Practice the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce.
- Provide a safe space and access for underrepresented students and to encourage growth, learning, academic persistence, and success.
- Provide diversity and inclusion initiatives that contribute to our mission and strategic direction to facilitate a powerful learning experience for all students.
- Introduce diversity into the systems and culture of the Department.
- Provide leadership on diversity and inclusion related matters.
- To foster an inclusive environment that welcomes and celebrates all expressions of diversity and identity, creating communities unburdened by discrimination and oppression.
A commitment to care as the foundation of how we approach our work and how we treat others, including students, guests, coworkers, and campus partners based on respect for the diversity of people and ideas.
A commitment to assist residents with effectively managing and dealing with conflict, learning to think independently, utilizing campus resources, and setting boundaries in their living environments.
A commitment to provide various leadership opportunities that will assist residential students in developing skills that will aid them in their success beyond their campus living experience.
A commitment to be innovative and trend setting in our practices and initiatives, and continually seek ways to improve, provide dynamic programs, facilities, and partnerships.
A commitment to excellence in the quality of our work, programs, and services while striving to be honorable, trustworthy, and continually engaging in an effort to achieve excellence.
A commitment to sharing information about who we are as an organization because of the financial, natural, and human resources we are entrusted with.
A commitment to care for the human, financial and natural resources entrusted to our care by our students.
A commitment to make residents and guests feel welcomed, valued through providing excellent, timely, quality service, and response.
Student Learning, Engagement, and Success
A commitment to programs and practices that prepare students for lifetime learning, leadership, and success through connecting curricular and co-curricular experiences, engaging with faculty and campus partners, and creating learner-focused environments conducive to student success and retention.
Diversity and Inclusivity
A commitment to create and help foster inclusive communities that promote healthy interaction, friendships, civility, compassion, caring, and an attitude of treating one another with respect and dignity and providing an environment where freedom of thought and expression are valued.
A commitment to creating opportunities for learning about sustainability and the connection between environmental stewardship and environmental impact through education and role modeling the minimization of energy and waste, and learning about and how to live in a manner that supports ecologically-healthy environments and communities.
Safety and Security
A commitment to providing safe and secure facilities that are learner-focused.
A commitment to the development and success of our team members.