All University sanctioned travel must be approved. See: http://www.csusb.edu/travel/guidelines for details. University Risk Management processes foreign travel insurance for all University approved foreign trips as a cost effective and prudent method of providing for financing of the specialized risks related to foreign travel. The FTIP is designed to provide automatic coverage for faculty, students and others while traveling abroad. Program coverage for the University is primary and with no deductible thereby protecting the existing University insurance programs from increased claims and filling the “deductible gap.”
Program coverage for students and staff meets or exceed common limits and provides primary coverage if the student has no health insurance. The insurance coverage under the FTIP exceeds regular travel insurance available from travel agencies or other insurance retailers which do not protect the University. Studying abroad is not without risks. CSUSB Risk Management recognizes the need for Foreign Travel Insurance when the University Departments:
- Sponsor cultural and sightseeing trips abroad for faculty, students and chaperones
- Sponsor study abroad programs
- Have extension programs located overseas, temporarily or permanently
- Place students or faculty in graduate programs abroad
- Sponsor exchange student programs
- Have faculty or other employees who attend conferences, conventions or seminars overseas
- Have faculty or other employees who travel outside the US to do on-site inspections, field engineering studies, field scientific research
- The California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA), in conjunction with ACE USA, has developed a Foreign Travel Insurance Program to
- address the financing of losses related to foreign travel, and
- provide travel assistance services for University employees and students.
This systemwide program provides general liability, excess auto liability, foreign workers' compensation, accident and sickness (including medical coverage), and executive assistance services to university personnel and students overseas on university or auxiliary sponsored trips.
Information is needed for every trip as soon as the instructor begins preparing for foreign travel. This will ensure that the participants traveling abroad have proper travel assistance; provide whereabouts in the event of an emergency, and record underwriting information for premium allocation.
Special requirements/processes may be needed if participants are traveling to any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade or economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America or a “war risk” country. Coverage to a “war risk” or embargo country requires advance notice to the underwriter, which can be requested through the University Risk Manager.
Coverage: Foreign Travel Insurance Program
Policy Term: July 1 to June 30, annually.
Policy Number: GLMN04950872R
Insurer: ACE USA- U.S. International Advantage Program
Named Insured: California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA), California State University (CSU), CSU Auxiliary Organizations.
Coverage Territory: ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD but excluding:
- The United States of America (including its territories and possessions) and
- Any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade or economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America.
See Current Travel Warnings from the State Department.
Coverage & Limits:
Primary General Liability:
$5,000,000 Coverage A–Bodily Injury/Property Damage Each Occurrence
$5,000,000 Aggregate Limit/Products/Completed Ops
$1,000,000 Premises Damage Limit
$5,000,000 Coverage B – Personal Injury & Advertising Injury - Aggregate Limit
$10,000 Coverage C – Medical Expense Limit (any one person)
$1,000,000 Employee Benefits Liability Endorsement -Each Claim (Subject to $1,000 Deductible)
(Claims Made Coverage) and Annual Aggregate
Contingent Auto Liability (Excess):
$1,000,000 Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability Each “Accident”
$ 100,000 Hired Auto Physical Damage/any one policy period
$ 25,000 Auto Medical Payments/each person/each accident
Employers Responsibility Coverage Voluntary Compensation:
State of Hire North Americans – State of Hire
Country Origin Third Country Nationals – Country of Origin
Country Origin Local Nationals – Country of Origin
$1,000,000 Bodily Injury by Accident/each Accident
$1,000,000 Bodily Injury by Disease/each Employee (including Endemic Disease)
$1,000,000 Bodily Injury by Disease/Policy Limit (including Endemic Disease)
Primary Accident or Sickness Expense Benefit:
$ 250,000 Employee/Student (Primary Med Expense)
$ 250,000 Spouse/Dependent (Primary Med Expense)
Treated as any other medical condition - Maximum Preexisting Conditions
$ 1000 Maximum Dental Treatment - Injury Only
$ 500 Alleviation of Pain - Maximum
$ 2,000 Maximum for Therapeutic Termination of Pregnancy
$0 Deductible per Covered Accident or Sickness
364 Maximum Period of Coverage
Incurral Period: 60 days after the date of Covered Accident or Sickness
Emergency Medical Benefits:
Up to $10,000 Emergency Medical Benefit Maximum (Employee/Student)
Emergency Medical Evacuation:
100% of Emergency Medical Evacuation Benefit Maximum (Employee/Student) Covered Expense
Repatriation of Remains Benefit:
100% of Repatriation of Remains Benefit Maximum (Employee/Student) Covered Expense
$ 5,000 Benefit Maximum
$ 300 Daily Benefit Maximum
10 Days Maximum Number of Days - Round Trip Ticket to fly to injured participant included in Maximum Benefit
Aggregate Limit Benefit:
$3,000,000 Aggregate Limit/Benefit Maximum
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit:
$100,000 Employee/Student - AD& D Benefit$50,000 Other - AD& D Benefit
$2,500 Benefit Maximum Reimbursement of non-refundable covered expenses paid for trip up to Benefit Maximum if prevented from taking trip as a result of injury, sickness or death
Trip Interruption Benefit:
$2,500 Benefit Maximum Limited self-insured coverage for trip cancellation, addressing the cost of cancelling or early return from travel triggered by critical events that may not be covered under the insurance program
Executive Assistance Services Included:
- Provides for emergency medical, travel, personal and security services–24 hour coverage, from the time the participant leaves until they return.
- Supplies embassy and consular contacts worldwide, and assists in replacing lost documents
- Legal Assistance–connects participants with local attorneys familiar with court systems in foreign countries, and provides local language translation services
- Security Assistance–offers pre-trip security briefings and updated reports on security situations in cities worldwide
1. Cost of Coverage:
Note that the FTIP premium is based on the duration of the trip and the number of participants.
2. Premium Rates: per traveler:
- INSURED TRIPS UP TO 15 DAYS:
Faculty/Staff/Students $60.00 per trip
- INSURED TRIPS UP TO 30 DAYS:
Faculty/Staff/Students $75.00 per trip
- INSURED TRIPS 31+ DAYS:
Faculty/Staff/Students - Refer to Insurance Company for Quote
**Note: Additional Premium for high-hazardous/war risk countries need to be submitted for underwriter’s approval. Trips more than 30 days need to be submitted for underwriter’s approval.
ACE Travel Assistance Program
1-855-327-1414 (Toll Free)
1-630-9764 (Direct Dial)
Policy Holder: California State University RMA
Policy Number: ADDN04950872RAssistance Provider: AXA Assistance USA Inc
This summary of the policy terms is provided for information only. It does not convey any rights upon the insurance nor alter its condition for coverage. Please refer to the actual policy for full disclosure of the policy terms.
For foreign travel insurance coverage please contact Cyndi Paull in the Risk Management Department (818) 677-6830 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please provide the completed Foreign Travel Insurance Quote Request Form and a daily itinerary.