Saturday, August 12, 2023
Courses and Course Schedule
We want to make sure students understand their options and responsibilities in order to proceed promptly through the program.
Create a course plan for yourself following the guidance in the MPA Handbook. Each student's plan will be different depending on how many classes they are able to take at a time and whether they take online or traditional classes. Plan carefully to assure the classes you want are offered the semester you want them. See also our Online Courses page.
Please review the Planning Sheet and plan your degree. We do not have a set course sequence or pattern because everyone's needs are different. We encourage you to map out a plan for your intended courses.
- PA 6110 MUST be your first class if it is available. PA 6110 is designated as a writing-intensive class and must be passed with at least a B- to remain in the MPA program.
- PA 6030 should be your second class.
- If you need an internship, you must complete it before you can Advance to Candidacy.
- If you are a semester catalog student, you must take two semesters of 6985 the professional development seminar.
- Take PA 6630 before taking PA 6150 if you are in Public Financial Management
- Take 6500 before your cybersecurity classes if you are in the Cybersecurity Concentration
- Complete your Advancement to Candidacy after taking 5 classes and attend the required mid-degree advising session.
- Take PA 6800 as your last core class in the quarter catalog. Take PA 6550 as your last class under the semester catalog. PA 6550 must be passed with a B or better.
- File a Graduation Check at least the quarter BEFORE you intend to graduate.
- Register for PA 6980 the Comprehensive Examination in your last semester (Electives may be taken with or after PA 6980)
Keep track of important dates, holidays, breaks, registration, exams- through the official Academic Calendar -- bookmark it!
The ultimate authority is the University Bulletin for the quarter students were admitted to the program.
Get career development services with Dr. Pamela Abell. Working with her is a co-requirement for PA 6980.
The Faculty and Staff of Public Administration Department is Here to Help! Please contact us at any time to answer specific questions.
MPA Director: Dr. Robert Stokes