Before Using Interlibrary Loan
If you are having trouble finding a book, article, or other type of item in the library please ask for help at the Research Assistance Desk or use our online Ask a Librarian service.
Check OneSearch to see if the materials you need are available in the Pfau Library or through CSU+ before making an Interlibrary Loan request. There will be a link available to place a request directly into Interlibrary Loan from your search page OR If you cannot find the item through OneSearch, you can order items from outside the CSU system by signing directly into your Interlibrary Loan account.
CSU+ is a free service that CSUSB students, faculty and staff may use to borrow books and media from one of the 22 other campuses of the California State University system. Books are usually delivered in 2-4 days. Patrons are encouraged to use CSU+ first because processing & shipping of requests are quicker and loan periods are longer. Before you request an item through Interlibrary Loan, try CSU+ by searching for the items in OneSearch: Under Books & Media (all CSU).
Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
Interlibrary Loan is a free service that allows CSUSB students, faculty, and staff to request books and articles from journals that are not available at the Pfau Library or CSU+. We request from libraries across the country and around the world. Place a request for most materials you need for your research such as, articles, books, media, etc. Books and other print material may take 5 days to 4 weeks to arrive. Articles may take 1-3 days to arrive. Interlibrary Loan provides current students, faculty, and staff access to materials that are not available through the Pfau Library and CSU+. Submit Interlibrary Loan requests directly through Illiad: (Under Article, Book, Thesis, etc.)
- CSU+ 60 days books, 30 days media.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) Materials can usually be borrowed for 4 weeks.
- There are no renewals for either system. We recommend requesting another copy prior to the items due date.
Lost or Damaged Fees
- CSU+ lost item fee at least $90, damage fee according to lending insitution.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) lost or damaged fees vary according to lending institution
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) and CSU+ materials must be returned in the same condition as they were received. Interlibrary loan staff checks the condition of all items it processes for use by our patrons and notes any damage found.
- Return borrowed materials on time. Failure to return materials on time may result in suspension or alteration of ILL privileges.
- You are responsible for paying any late fees.
- Please return things in good condition. You are liable for any lost or damaged material.
- Please observe any special conditions set by the lending library for use of borrowed material. These will appear on the paper ILL wrapper and may include: For Library Use Only or Photocopying Not Allowed.
Requirements for a Request
- Know exactly what you are looking for. Typically this means: The exact Title, Author(s), Edition, Year, Publisher, Journal, Volume, Issue, etc.
- Confirm that the item you are looking for is not available in the Library's collections
- When using OneSearch, ILLiad is integrated in your searches. For other items not in OneSearch, etc., sign in to ILLiad to make a request.
- Both ILLiad and OneSearch system use your Coyote ID and Password
- Complete citation is needed In order to expedite processing, lack of proper citation will cause delays in processing requests. In particular, the ISSN number, ISBN number, or the OCLC number, if known, can speed processing. Examples of each:
- PDC students are able to request via CSU+, please be sure to click on dropdown location for PDC.
- For placing ILLiad requests to be delivered to PDC please contact Interlibrary Loan department.
Delivery and/or Pickup of Materials
- Articles are delivered to you electronically. You will receive an email when your article is available.
- Loans are held for pickup at the Check-Out desk. Must have valid Coyote ID.
- ILLiad materials are held until their due date at which time they are returned. Items will not be held past the due dates. Please request in a timely manner keeping any sabbaticals, vacations, etc. in mind.
- CSU+ materials are held for 7 days before they expire and must be sent back.
- Shipments may be delayed due to weather, traffic, or distance.
Copyright Law Compliance
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.