Main Content Region

Food Safety Program

Food Safety Program

Food Events 

We are pleased that you have chosen to sponsor an event to help enhance your campus experience. Since you will be serving food, we would like to help you have a successful event and protect the health of the campus community and your customers. The procedure as outlined in the California Health and Safety Code enforced by the San Bernardino County Department of Environmental Health Services are the minimum required for food events at CSUSB.  

The key to protecting your customers is to correctly handle the food you plan to serve. Improper food handling can result in food-borne illness that can be caused by food poisonings and/or food-borne infections. 

  • Food Poisonings occur when hazardous substances are accidentally added to food or when bacteria grow in the fool is substantial enough to allow the production of toxic levels of waste products in the food, after which, the food is consumed 
  • Food-borne Infection occurs when food inadvertently suffers microbial contamination, the food is contaminated, the food is consumed, and the microbes grow within the host (consumer) to a level that causes infection and resulting illness.  

Potentially hazardous foods are foods most often associated with food poisoning or food-borne infections. To help prevent problems, these foods must be maintained at or below 41° Fahrenheit (F) or at or above 135°F. Potentially hazardous foods are those that are capable of: (1) supporting rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms, or (2) supporting the growth or toxin production of Clostridium botulinum. Following are examples of potentially hazardous foods. 

Additional Resources 

  • Approved Non Perishable Foods (link to PDF see attached Document) 

Temporary Food Permit provided by Environmental Health and Safety Department (EHS) 

To secure the safety and health of CSUSB’s community, Registered Campus Organizations (RCO)s are required to explain the type of food, the conditions and the preparation processes of the food they want to sell or prepare for their event. 

EHS requires a minimum of 7 days’ advance notice for all food event notifications.  EHS would be happy to answer any food-event related questions via phone or e-mail, but NO food events will be approved without the EHS food event notification form (online only) submitted at least 7 days in advance. For any questions Please contact Benjamin Virzi either by e-mail or by phone. 

Temporary Food Facility (TFF)’s 

  • Any student organization, campus department or outside entity that plans on serving or selling food to the general public at special events on CSUSB must obtain a Temporary Food Facility permit. Office potlucks, organizational meetings, and invitation only events are excluded from obtaining these permits since foodservice at these events are considered private. Due to the nature and challenges of temporary food facilities, inherent risk is increased; therefore, there are different requirements and regulations for this type of food facilities. To ensure the safety of the campus community, review and complete the required Temporary Food Facility Permit Application(s). 

Who needs a Temporary Food Permit? 

  • Any organization such as CSUSB registered clubs, organizations, non-university individuals/organizations, etc.., that is hosting a campus event where food or beverage is offered to the public either free or for purchase.  

How long is a temporary food permit good for? 

Temporary Food Permits are valid for the duration of the event.

Where do I go to complete a Food Event Notification form?

Clubs or organizations that are vetted through the Office of Student Engagement please submit your Event Notification through Coyote Connections located in your mycoyote portal.  

For all other departments on campus complete the Food Event Notification Form.

Food Event Notification Form