What is Career Advising?
Career advising is focused on helping current Students and Alumni identify career, educational, and personal goals based on their needs, interests, values, skills, strengths, and life circumstances. Through the career advising process, guidance is provided to help individuals make informative and intentional career decisions and establish a course of action for their career and educational pursuits.
Who are the Career Advisors?
Valentina Felix, B. A. (she, her, ella)
Career Advisor | Liaison to College of Natural Sciences
- Valentina Felix has been part of the CSUSB community since 2008, initially as a member of the CoyoteCareers award winning team, which supported underserved students in STEM.
- She has also been part of the CSUSB Cybersecurity Center, as the project manager, where she secured nearly $2 million to increase access to the cybersecurity field to unrepresented students. Valentina oversaw the annual CSUSB GenCyber program, recognized as a national model in STEM engagement.
- In her current role as Career Advisor, Valentina is the liaison for the College of Natural Sciences and is also leading efforts to improve resources and services in the pre-law area.
- Valentina has been an active member of the campus Association of Latino Faculty Staff and Students (ALFSS), chairing numerous events over the years.
- Along with her husband, Jesse Felix, they have launched the Felix Family Scholarship new scholarship to support students committed to diversity, inclusion and equity at CSUSB.
Sarai Maldonado, M. B. A. (she/her/hers)
Career Advisor | Liaison to College of Arts & Letters / College of Education / College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- She is a Career Advisor, helps students and alumni shape and realize their career goals by providing counseling, workshops, and career-related resources.
- She is a proud fellow Yote with a Bachelor in Sociology and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Redlands.
- She also serves as the liaison to the College of Arts & Letters, College of Social & Behavioral Sciences, College of Business, Cyber Security, College of Natural Sciences, Nursing, and Alumni Association.
- She works closely with employers to give them access to diverse talent in the country.
Oscar Fonseca, M.S. - UndocuAlly
Career Advisor | Liaison to Palm Desert Campus
- He is a Career Counselor at California State University, San Bernardino – Palm Desert Campus and works directly with students to explore and connect them to internships and employment opportunities in order to have an educated workforce in the Coachella Valley.
- Mr. Fonseca has over fifteen (15) years of experience in higher education while also working for local organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Desert, College of the Desert, and is Co-Founder of both OneFuture Coachella Valley & University Alumni of the Coachella Valley a program engaging local alumni who are trailblazers within their industry.
- He was raised in La Quinta, where he graduated from La Quinta High School in 1999. He attended College of the Desert and then transferred to Fresno State, where he received his Bachelor's degree in Liberals Studies & Masters of Science degree in Counseling & Student Services with an emphasis in Higher Education.
- After completing his education, Oscar’s goal was always to return to the Coachella Valley and help other succeed in their educational journey. Oscar is passionate about serving his students and families within the Coachella Valley and constantly advocates for equality.
- Mr. Fonseca always shares this quote with his students "Nothing will work unless you DO" – Maya Angelou.
Primavera Reza-Nakonechny, M. S. (she/her/hers)
- Primavera Reza-Nakonechny is transitioning into her new role as a Career Counselor within the Career Center and previously served as an Academic Advisor at CSUSB providing career and academic advising to students within the College of Natural Sciences.
- She is currently completing her Doctor of Education in Higher Education Leadership at Azusa Pacific University and her previous education includes a Master of Science in College Counseling and Student Development from Azusa Pacific University, a Bachelor of Arts in History from California State University, Los Angeles, and an Associate of Arts in General Transfer Studies from Glendale Community College.
- Drawing motivation from being a student parent, BIPOC, and the first in her family to attend graduate school, Primavera collaborates with campus and community resources to better assist students.
- Primavera’s CSUSB campus involvement includes being the lead Faculty Advisor for the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) in which she mentors students from marginalized and underrepresented communities seeking to pursue the medical field.
- Primavera is an active member of the Association of Latino Faculty, Staff and Students (ALFSS) and has aided in various committees including planning for the Latinx Graduation Ceremony for the past few years.
- Primavera also teaches a freshman seminar course and facilitates a workshop focused on justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion to better aid first year students in their transition into higher education.
What can a Career Advisor help me with?
Career Advisors are here to assist you in all aspects of your career journey. During your appointment with a Career Advisor, you will have the opportunity to ask questions related to career and educational planning, discuss challenges and barriers to success, and work towards accomplishing your goals.
Appointment types include:
- Career Advising (General Questions)
- Career Assessment Review
- Career Exploration
- Cover Letter Review
- Graduate/Professional School Advising
- Internship Search
- Interview Prep
- Job Search
- Major Exploration
- Personal Statement Review
- Resume Review