Main Content Region

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I should fail a course?

If you fail a course you need to notify the Veterans Assistance Program Administrator immediately. The Department of Veterans Affairs will pay for a failed course, plus one attempt at passing that very course. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay for a failed course due to nonattendance. If you must drop a course, it is your responsibility to notify the Veterans Assistance Program Administrator immediately.

Will I have to enroll full time to receive my VA educational benefits?

No. You do not have to be a full-time student to receive VA educational benefits.

Can I use my Cal-Vet Fee Waiver for College of Extended Learning Courses?

No. Per California State University policy the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver only waives state-wide mandated fees. Extension fees are not waived. The Cal-Vet Fee Waiver cannot be used for College of Extended Learning Certificate Programs or Open University courses.

When can I utilize my VA educational benefits?

You may use your educational benefits during any academic term, including summer, as long as you have remaining entitlement. To verify the amount of entitlement please call the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

When are books covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs?

If you are a veteran and your education is being funded under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), books will be funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you are using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) you will receive a book stipend based on the number of units or clock hours you are enrolled in as a student.

Which courses are eligible for VA education benefits?

Courses that have been approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE), and the Department of Veterans Affairs. View complete listing of certificate programs offered through the CSUSB College of Extended Learning.

What VA benefits are available to dependents of veterans?

Dependents are eligible for benefits under Chapter 35 or the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program; benefits cannot be received under both chapter 35 and the fee waiver program simultaneously. The VA decides all eligibility for these benefits. For more information please visit the GI Bill website.

Note: the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program is only authorized for CSU system-wide fees. The Cal-Vet Fee Waiver program cannot be used for Office of Professional and Continuing Education Certificate Programs or Open University Courses.

Where do I go for veterans affairs services, assistance and information?

Contact the College of Extended and Global Education’s office of Professional and Continuing Education. Assistance includes:

  • Providing information to veterans and family members about veterans' educational benefits, certificate programs and registration, and military spouse financial assistance.
  • Certifying student status for receipt of educational benefits under VA chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35 and 1606.

How long does it take to receive VA benefits?

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six to eight weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits in approximately three weeks.

Should I bring any documents with me when I see the Veterans Assistance Program Administrator?

No documents are required for your first visit. However, if you would like to have documents from a previous school placed in your file, bring them with you. Documents that will be required prior to certification will be your DD 214, your certificate of eligibility and transcripts from previous schools.

How do I initiate VA benefits as a new student, or as a transfer student?

You will need to complete the DOVA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). You can obtain that form from the Veterans Assistance Program Administrator. See Education Benefits website for more details.

Do I have any responsibilities as a student?

As a veteran using your education benefits, you are responsible to notify the PACE veterans assistance program administrator immediately of any action affecting your enrollment status - drop, add or a change of certificate program goal. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits.

You are responsible for maintaining satisfactory progress toward the stated degree program objective. Satisfactory progress is defined as a grade point average of 'C' for credit programs and/or an 'average' for noncredit programs. Failure to maintain the required grade point average could result in the suspension of veteran education benefits.

Additionally, you are required at all times when in the classroom and on university premises to conduct yourself in an orderly and considerate manner, and shall adhere to the CSUSB Student Code of Conduct. Violation is just cause for dismissal.

As a veteran student, you will be provided a Veteran Information guide explaining in further detail the college's policies. You will be expected to adhere to policies or risk being dismissed and or being suspended from receiving veteran education benefits.

Will the Department of Veterans Affairs pay for any certificate program, degree and or major?

The Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for certificate programs, degrees and majors approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE). View complete listing of certificate programs offered through the CSUSB College of Extended Learning.

Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my eligibility or remaining benefits?

Please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1 (888) 442-4551 or visit their site at

How do I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?

By calling 1 (888) 442-4551 or visiting the GI Bill website.

How often will I receive payments?

In most cases you will receive your benefits on a monthly basis. However, each month that you are enrolled in classes you are required to verify your 'status.' Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1 (877) 823-2378.

Can I stop and start using the MGIB at will?

YES. Unfortunately, many people believe that once you apply for benefits you have to remain enrolled in school to get the full benefit. Thankfully that's not true, you can use the MGIB for any period of time, take time off and re-apply to use it again at a later date.

Will I be eligible for a monthly housing allowance if I’m registered in an online degree program?

Yes. The housing allowance payable is equal to 50% of the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.

How long do I have to use my GI Bill benefits?

Once you have separated from the service you have 15 years to use your Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and 10 years for all other chapters. Although separating from service 'starts the clock' on your time limit, you should know that if you are recalled to active-duty for more than 90 days, during that period, your clock is reset. Your effective date is the date of your last discharge from active duty.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).