Online Certificate in Reading Fundamentals
The College of Extended and Global Education is proud to partner with Virtual Education Software (VESi) a leading provider of accredited online courses for educators, to offer this new reading certificate program completely online. The focus of the certificate is Reading First, a federally-supported program based on the latest scientific research on reading instruction. In taking the Online Certificate in Reading Fundamentals, you'll learn a phonetically-based approach to reading assessment, instruction, evaluation and remediation. The courses were written according to the research and practices included in the Reading First legislation and focus on:
- Aligning content with the Congressional Reading Excellence Act (REA)
- Following guidelines and recommendations in the National Reading Panel (2000) report
- Providing background on Reading First as it applies to the No Child Left Behind legislation
- Laying a foundation and exploring the elements of effective reading instruction
- Learning to read, reading to learn, and an introduction to reading assessment
- Introducing the five elements of effective reading instruction and providing information on important assessment terms
- Learning strategies and activities for use in the classroom to improve students’ reading skills
Who Should Attend
This online certificate, based on the federally-supported Reading First program, is designed for teachers in pre-K through third grade classrooms, as well as reading specialists and those who teach in special classrooms.
How to Earn a Certificate
Three online courses, which should be taken sequentially, are required to earn the certificate. Students should plan to dedicate about 10 hours of work per unit of credit to complete courses. While you may register at any time, all course requirements must be completed by the course end date. Courses are self-paced, allowing you to work on the requirements as your schedule permits, and should be completed in sequence.
- An Introduction to Scientifically Based Research
- This first in the three-course series is designed to give background on Reading First as it applies to the No Child Left Behind legislation. In it, you will learn about scientifically based research as it applies to phonetically-based instruction, assessment and evaluation. Explore myths and misconceptions concerning reading instruction and remediation. You will also be provided with an evaluation checklist designed to assess the effectiveness of your current reading program. The goal of this course is to present you with trustworthy evidence and background information to support the need for a reading program that is based on scientific research and proven methods.
- Laying the Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction
- This second course in the series lays the foundation for effective reading instruction and covers the elements involved. You will benefit, and more importantly, your students will benefit, both in terms of their behavior and their academic performance. You will also learn about the importance of reading instruction, some sobering statistics on U.S. reading performance and what happens when individuals are not proficient in reading.
- The Elements of Effective Reading Instruction and Assessment
- This course will focus on learning to read, reading to learn and an introduction to reading assessment. Elements of effective reading instruction will be highlighted, including definitions, implications for instruction and future directions. You'll learn the five elements of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and text comprehension. Discover comprehensive strategies for reading instruction preparation, including how to integrate computer technology in the classroom. The course will provide important information on terms and definitions and includes 29 specific recommendations for reading assessments. Finally, the course will show you how to conduct pivotal curriculum-based measurement procedures in your classroom.
|Reading Fundamentals #1: An Introduction to Scientifically Based Research (3 CEU)||$450|
|Reading Fundamentals #2: Laying the Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction (3 CEU)||$450|
|Reading Fundamentals #3: The Elements of Effective Reading Instruction and Assessment (4.5 CEU)||$595|
* Fees are subject to change