Cal State San Bernardino recently advanced to the category of Doctoral University: High Research Activity (R2), raising the university’s status to a “national university” from a “regional university” by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Read more about the R2 designation in Inside CSUSB.
- Commitment to social justice, equity, and educational transformation;
- Earned baccalaureate and master's degrees in education or a related field from accredited institutions of higher education. A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in upper division and graduate study;
- Demonstrated sufficient preparation for, experience in, and potential for educational leadership, including: successful experience in leadership in school, postsecondary, or community contexts, and/or policy leadership;
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, technology proficiency, and interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements in current educational policies and practices
The application cycle for Fall 2023 admission is now open! Review our Admissions page, attend an information session, and apply through Cal State Apply. Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2023
3 Step Application Process
In addition to the $70 CSU Apply application fee, the following information will be required as part of the CSU Apply Application to the CSUSB Ed.D. Doctoral Program:
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume that includes a detailed list of professional experience, specific skills, and accomplishments.
- Future Directions Essay (two to three pages): Address the challenges related to education in California, make recommendations for change, and note your potential leadership involvement in the process.
- Scholarly Writing Example: This can be a paper you wrote for a course in your master’s program, a thesis chapter, or a report or grant you have written in your profession. The example you submit needs to demonstrate your analytical writing abilities and be error-free.
- The GRE is no longer required for program admission.
Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended since high school graduation (if selected for admission). Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the initial CSU Apply application.
You must submit the following unofficial transcripts (if applicable):
- An unofficial transcript from the undergraduate institution where your bachelor’s degree was earned (required)
- Unofficial transcript(s) from any institution(s) where the coursework counted toward your bachelor’s degree
- Unofficial transcript(s) for all post-baccalaureate coursework
- An unofficial transcript from the last college or university you attended
- Three confidential Recommendation Evaluations (in CSU Apply) from professionals in the field attesting to leadership and scholarship. One evaluation should be from a university faculty member (if possible) addressing your potential for academic success in a doctoral program, which can be detailed in the Evaluator Comments section. Recommendation evaluations are due back by June 1st. Evaluation responses are not required for application submission, but will need to be received prior to deadline for full consideration. Consider reviewing this example of the recommendation evaluation form.
- Once all application materials have been received, selected applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview.
Please Note: Applications are NOT considered and CANNOT be reviewed until the $70 CSU Apply application fee is paid. Please be sure to submit payment, which allows the CSUSB Ed.D. Program to then access your application materials.
If you have questions about the application process, please attend a CSU Apply information session or reach out directly to Stacey Ortiz at Stacey.email@example.com or 909-537-4270.
NEED HELP WITH APPLYING?
CSUSB Graduate Studies offers several resources and workshops for completing the CSU Apply Graduate Application. Click the button below for current workshops and application assistance dates. Additionally, you may want to review these step-by-step tutorials to assist you in completing your Cal State Apply graduate application.
Watch our recorded CSU APPLY Information Session for the Ed.D. Program. April Lane, our Graduate Student Resource Specialist, talks you through how to login and create your profile, as well as tips for completing the four quadrants of the application and how to upload the required application materials.
For technical support with the Cal State Apply application, please contact the customer service using the Live Chat feature in the application. Alternatively, you can call 857-304-2087 or email CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com for further assistance. Please provide CAS ID # with the request (the CAS ID # located under your name in the upper-right corner of the application).
Due Dates & Deadlines
|Application Cycle Events||Important Dates|
|Fall 2023 - Application for Admission Cal State Apply Opens||October 1, 2022|
Application Information Sessions (Via Zoom)
|Beginning October 2022|
Application for Admission - Cal State Apply Closes
May 1, 2023
|Application Review and Interviews Scheduled for Candidates||May-June 2023|
|Begin Acceptance Notifications||July 2023|
|Semester Tuition & Fees Due||Check with Bursars|
|Fall 2023 Semester Start Date||August 2023|
Interested in Learning about our Doctorate in Educational Leadership Program?
Consider joining us, via Zoom, on one of the days listed below from 5:00 PM-6:00 PM to learn more. Our information sessions are led by Co-Directors, Dr. Enrique Murillo, Dr. Sharon Brown-Welty, or Program Specialist, Stacey Ortiz. The information sessions outline why to pursue an Ed.D., an overview of the program, and process for admissions.
|--||January 11, 2023||--|
|January 24, 2022||--||February 9, 2023|
|--||February 22, 2023||--|
March 23, 2023
||--||April 20, 2023|
|May 3, 2023||--|