Main Content Region

Teaching for the Department

Each year the Department of Child Development recruits graduate students, titled Teaching Associates (TA) to teach certain courses. Current department graduate students will receive an email via the graduate student listserv prior to Spring Break informing them of the specific classes to which they can apply to teach during the upcoming academic year.

Application Dates

AY 2023-2024 Application Timeline
March 2024 Current graduate students will be notified of teaching opportunities and the application process via email 
Friday, 4/12/2024 Applications due
Friday, 5/24/2024

TAs informed of hiring decisions and course assignments

Wednesday, 8/21/2024


Mandatory TA Orientation (time and place will be communicated to those hired)
Monday, 8/26/2024 First day of Fall classes



Who is eligible to work as a TA?

To be eligible to work as a TA, you need to enroll in at least one course during the semester you are teaching.

As a TA, you may register for CD 6893: Externship in Applied Child Development if units are needed. However, if you have completed all required coursework for your degree, except for your thesis (CD 6974), graduate project (CD 6964), or comprehensive examination (CD 6980), you may enroll in CD 6990: Continuous Enrollment for Graduate Candidacy Standing through the College of Extended and Global Education and pay a reduced fee (approximately $320 per semester), to maintain your eligibility for employment as a Teaching Associate.

How do I apply?

Generally, you are asked to submit a CV, a Statement of Teaching Experience and Interests, a copy of your current transcript (unofficial), and complete an online application form. Details about the application process and these materials will be provided each year in the email sent to current graduate students.

Do I need to complete the application again if I am currently a TA?

Yes. The online application form will ask you to indicate if you are a current TA and you will be expected to submit the documents and the application form each year.

Can I be considered for teaching more than one course?

Yes. In the online application you may indicate all courses that you feel qualified to teach. In your Statement of Teaching Experience and Interests you should address your qualifications for teaching each course for which you would like to be considered. 

What time are courses taught by TAs scheduled?

Courses taught by TAs are scheduled at a variety of times, M-F, from 7:30am-9:45pm. You will not be scheduled to teach at a time that overlaps with any of the courses in which you are enrolled. Having greater flexibility in your schedule increases your opportunities for teaching.

What is the pay-rate?

TAs earn pay based on the number of Weighted Teaching Units (WTUs) assigned to the class they are teaching.

Most TA courses are 3-WTUs, although the CD 2210 (lab) is only worth 1.5 WTU. The current TA rate of pay is approximately $1,066.00 per WTU. Typically, TAs are assigned one course for the fall semester and one in the spring.

Am I allowed to work as a TA if I have another on-campus job?

In general, a student is allowed to work up to 20-hrs/week on campus (combining State-supported and UEC-supported positions). If you intend to hold another paid position on campus, while teaching for the Department of Child Development, please reach out to the Department office to determine if your planned combined workload will meet university requirements.