Main Content Region

Career/Job Opportunities

What can I do with a degree in: CHILD DEVELOPMENT
Areas Employers Strategies




  • Religious organizations

  • Montessori schools

  • Private, public, franchise, and corporate daycare centers

  • Private homes

  • Family day care

  • Extended school programs

  • Preschools

  • Head Start programs

  • Develop physical stamina for working with children.
  • Acquire appropriate certification or licensure for daycare and public school teaching.

  • Obtain experience working with children through volunteering or part-time jobs.

  • Demonstrate patience with children and the ability to work well with people of various backgrounds.

  • Develop strong communications skills to deal effectively with parents.







  • Community centers

  • YMCA or YWCA

  • Consumer protection agencies

  • Summer camp programs

  • Adult daycare providers

  • Hospitals

  • Rehabilitation organizations

  • Religious organizations

  • Adoption agencies

  • Seek related work experience; particularly in summer camps or special needs areas.

  • Learn to work well with all types of people through volunteer or paid positions.

  • Obtain Child Life Certification for some areas.

  • Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills.

  • Be willing to wear multiple hats within an organization.

  • Learn how to write grants.

  • Develop research and writing skills.


Case Management



  • Profit and nonprofit organizations focused on children, youth, families, or senior citizens

  • Adult and child day care providers

  • Group homes

  • Half-way houses

  • Youth services agencies

  • Foundations and funding organizations

  • Supplement curriculum with courses in social work, sociology, or psychology.

  • Obtain a master's degree and appropriate licensure in mental health counseling, social work, or rehabilitation counseling to provide therapy.

  • Earn a graduate degree to obtain most administrative positions.

  • Gain experience through volunteer positions or internships.



Early Childhood


Early Childhood

Special Education

Home Economics

Family and Consumer Sciences

Curriculum Development




College Student Affairs

Parent-Child Education

  • Public and private schools (K-12)

  • Public preschool programs (e.g., Head Start)

  • Private preschool programs

  • Montessori schools

  • Adult education programs

  • Colleges and universities

  • Programs servicing children and adults with special needs

  • Acquire appropriate certification for public school teaching.

  • Obtain Ph.D. for college and university teaching and research opportunities.

  • Acquire certification for daycare and parent-child education.

  • Obtain graduate degree in counseling, student affairs, and administrative positions.

  • Find part-time or summer jobs working with children.

  • Serve as a tutor, peer mentor, resident assistant or student advisor.


Child Care Programs


  • Hospitals

  • Healthcare facilities

  • Health and wellness agencies

  • Hospices

  • Earn a master's degree in Social Work, Counseling, or related areas for the most opportunities.

  • Obtain experience in advocacy.

  • Acquire licensing or certification for some areas.

  • Volunteer in a healthcare setting.




Customer Service

  • Manufacturing companies of children's clothes, toys, furniture, and food Department and retail stores Service organizations

  • Minor in business; develop skills in areas such as management, marketing or sales.

  • Secure leadership positions on campus.

  • Get related experience through internships or part-time jobs.

  • Build computer skills in word processing, database management, and spreadsheet programs.



Public Relations




  • Organizations geared toward children and family including:
    • Book publishers,

    • Professional associations,

    • Radio and TV stations,

    • Nonprofit organizations,

    • Manufacturers,

    • Newspapers, and Magazines

  • Minor or double major in a communications field.

  • Develop excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.

  • Submit articles or books for publication.

  • Work for campus publications or radio stations.

  • Complete internships with related organizations.


Social Services


Program Coordination


Program Evaluation



  • Federal, state and local government agencies (i.e., Departments of Health, Education and Welfare, Criminal Justice Departments, Sanitation, Fire/Safety, Nutrition, and Cooperative Extension)

  • Vocational rehabilitation

  • Mental health agencies

  • Military child care programs

  • Overseas child care and education programs

  • Health and wellness agencies

  • Women's protective agencies

  • Take additional courses in area of interest.

  • Develop strong presentation and public speaking skills.

  • Obtain specialized training for opportunities in protective services or law enforcement.

  • Complete an internship with a government organization.

  • Learn federal, state, and local job application procedures.

General Information/Recommendations

  • Bachelor's degree is sufficient for entry-level positions.

  • Advanced degrees are essential for clinical and therapeutic counseling positions.

  • Master's degree or Ph.D. is often needed for administrative and supervisory positions.

  • Ph.D. or Master’s degree is required for college teaching and advanced research positions.

  • Additional or specialized training qualifies one for higher paying and positions of greater responsibility.

  • Obtain part-time, summer, internship, or volunteer experience in child care, schools, hospitals, camps, or overseas programs or in advocacy or service-oriented programs dealing with alcoholism, drug abuse, family violence, aging, poor, or disabled populations.

  • Obtain certification in CPR, safety, and first aid for adults, children, and infants.

  • Develop interest and gain experience in computers, arts, crafts, music, or physical activity.

  • Obtain certification for specialized areas including Child Life Specialist or Child Advocacy.

Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. (2005)
UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA /ADEA/Employer

Local Agencies Hiring CSUSB Child Development Graduates

Child Care Resource Center

First Five San Bernardino

San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools

Preschool Services Department

Websites to Apply for Jobs


Web Resources

National Association for the Education of Young Children

National Council on Family Relations

American Educational Research Association

Society for Research in Child Development

Zero to Three

Council for Exceptional Children

Child Development Permit Information

Majoring in Child Development affords graduates the opportunity to apply for a Child Development Permit. Child Development Permits are the certificates that allow professionals to work in early education settings and are issued by the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing. Students who complete the Early Childhood Development concentration qualify for a Site Supervisor Permit. Students who complete the Child and Adolescent Development concentration (and who completed their Internship course in a school-age setting) qualify for a Site Supervisor Permit with a School Age Emphasis. Students who complete the Master’s in Child Development program qualify for a Program Director Permit. For more information see the Child Development Permit Matrices provided or go to Child Development Permits (CL-797).