Main Content Region

Independent Study


In order to register an independent study, students need to talk to a faculty member who is willing to supervise the student's project. The student may work with any faculty member in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice. The student will discuss the nature and the extent of the project and expectations with the faculty member. Once this is agreed upon, the student will complete and sign an Independent Study form, have the faculty member sign the form, and then submit it to the Departmental Administrative Support Coordinator in SB 209.


CJUS 5953: Independent Study

In-depth research into special topics concerned with the criminal justice system utilizing readings, library and/or field research. May be repeated for credit for a total of eight units; only four may be used in the major. Prerequisites: a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0, consent of instructor and department chair’s approval of written proposal submitted on a standard application, filed in advance of the semester in which the course is to be taken.


Please complete this form online and print it to obtain required approval and signatures.

Independent Study Contract Form