Mariachi Los Coyotes
CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes is a newly established ensemble that is open to any student, regardless of major, who sings, or plays violin, viola, cello, double bass, B-flat trumpet, harp, guitar, vihuela, or guitarron. This class will feature mariachi specialists as guest artists and lecturers, and students will have the opportunity to sing and play, and learn about the history, culture, music, and fashion of mariachi. All are welcome! As part of this ensemble, students regularly perform in the Inland Empire, engaging in educational outreach performances for schools and events for the community.
CSUSB Mariachi Los Coyotes Mission, Vision & Values
The mission of CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes is to holistically develop the talent of music students in the Inland Empire and actively contribute to the artistic vibrancy of our region.
The vision of CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes for it’s student members is to give them the opportunity to learn and perform a diverse range of music from the mariachi repertoire, develop both one’s solo and supportive artistic voice in a smaller ensemble setting, hone key ensemble skills such as watching, listening, and breathing, engage with mariachi specialists, learn about the history, culture, music, and fashion of mariachi, and participate in interdisciplinary collaborations and educational outreach, all while developing the highest levels of musicianship, professionalism, and audience engagement skills. This program seeks to empower every student to further their self-exploration and growth so that they may actively work toward achieving their dreams, and becoming artist citizens who make unique and meaningful contributions to both their local and globally-connected communities.
The vision of CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes for our San Bernardino, Inland Empire, and greater Southern California communities, is to provide a hub for our communities to come and enjoy cultural performances of the highest calibre. We value audience engagement and feedback, we seek to be relevant to our communities, and we actively engage in the mutually shared goals of education, community development, and celebration of the arts in the Inland Empire.
CSUSB Mariachi Los Coyotes Photo Gallery
CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes is contextualized by the core values of the university, which are:
- Inclusivity that honors diverse perspectives and beliefs
- Respect for every individual
- Equitable treatment of and opportunities for every individual
- Celebration of diversity
- An innovative learning environment that prioritizes high standards of excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship
- Integrity in character, conduct, and communications
- Transparency in leadership, governance, and instruction
- Sustainable program goals, recruitment practices, and stewardship of resources
- Wellness and safety of everyone
CSUSB Mariachi Los Coyotes Membership
Students, CSUSB faculty members, and community artists are all invited to participate in California State University, San Bernardino's Mariachi Los Coyotes. Membership in CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes is open to all students regardless of major; you do not have to be a music major to participate. High school students are eligible to participate through Open University (freshman and sophomores) and CSUSB’s High School University Program (juniors and seniors), and middle school students are eligible to participate through Open University with their instructor’s permission. Transferable university/college credit is available through both Open University and the High School University Program, and so please email Dr. Lewis to receive the registration forms and information. Membership is by audition only and auditions are held the first week of each semester.
CSUSB Mariachi Los Coyotes Opportunities
CSUSB's Mariachi Los Coyotes were recently featured in the CSUSB Music Department Symphony Orchestra Concert in March of 2019, and have also been invited to perform for CSUSB Latino Education and Advocacy Days (LEAD) events.
In addition to performing, members of Mariachi Los Coyotes also have access to a variety of special opportunities that include a collaborative relationship with the San Bernardino Symphony Orchestra, and access to participation in the CSUSB American String Teachers Association Student Chapter: Yotie Edition.
California State University, San Bernardino Student Chapter: Yotie Edition Opportunities:
- Membership for any student musician (string, woodwind, brass, percussion, keyboard, voice), in the largest national association for string and orchestral performance, pedagogy, and advocacy
- Professional development opportunities
- California State University, San Bernardino Summer Orchestra, Piano, Guitar & Chamber Music Camp Student Internships
- Access to reduced registration prices for the American String Teachers Association National Conference
CSUSB Mariachi Los Coyotes Guest Artist Events
- Thursday, September 3 The History of Mariachi with Dr. Jessie Vallejo, Ethnomusicologist, and Director of Mariachi Los Broncos and Mariachi Los Caballeros at Cal Poly Pomona
- Tuesday, September 8 Warm-ups, Tonality, Harmony, & the Styles of Mariachi with Carlos Samaniego, Director of Mariachi Ancoiris de Los Angeles
- Tuesday, September 29 Guest Trumpet Masterclass with Maricela Martinez, Director of the Mariachi Lindas Mexicanas
- Tuesday, October 13 Guest Vocal Masterclass with Stephanie Amaro, Member of Trio Ellas, Lead Singer of The Blue Agave, La Voz US contestant
- Tuesday, October 27 Guest Vihuela, Guitar, and Guittarón Masterclass with Tony Zúñiga, member of Mariachi Los Reyes, Mariachi Tepalcatepec, and the Grammy-nominated Mariachi Sol de México de José Hernández
- Thursday, November 12 Guest Violin (& Flute) Masterclass with Jesús “Chuy” Guzmán Grammy Award-winning Director of Mariachi Los Camperos
- Tuesday, November 24 “Advocacy and Entrepreneurship in Mariachi” Talk with Carlos Samaniego, Director of Mariachi Ancoiris de Los Angeles
Current Member Resources
Admission into Mariachi Los Coyotes is by audition and non-majors are welcome. For more information about auditions for Mariachi Los Coyotes, please contact Dr. Angela Romero at Angela.Romero@csusb.edu -- you may also connect with us on the String & Orchestral Program's Facebook page.