Welcome to the Staff Council Website
We are undergoing revisions to our site. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we revamp our page.
Staff Council Executive Board 2022-2023
Jaime Espinoza, Chair
Jennifer Martin, Co-Chair
Diana Quijano, Secretary
Ken Jacobs, Treasurer
Elizabeth Junker, Communications Liaison
Staff Council Members 2022-2023
Pamela De La Torre
The university has created an award to recognize one person at CSUSB, biennially, who best emulates Augie Hartung. Augie was known for his caring spirit, unquenchable enthusiasm for assisting others, and warmth in thoughtfully reaching out to friends and strangers alike. The Augie Award (The Augie) was first introduced in 2006 and has become among the most coveted prizes the university offers. The Augie award is in the shape of a popsicle because Augie was well known for giving out free popsicles on hot summer days, just to show that he cared and to see people smile. Nominees should be Affirming, Understanding, Giving, Inspiring, and Exceptional.
The biennial "Augie" award, established in 2006, honors the memory of Augie Hartung, Associate Director of Facilities Services at California State University, San Bernardino from 2001 to 2006. The Augie award is in the shape of a popsicle because Augie was well known for giving out free popsicles on hot summer days, just to show that he cared and to see people smile.
Mr. Hartung, through actions and thoughts exemplified the concept of caring and service throughout his tenure at the University. In his unique and personal way, Mr. Hartung touched every aspect of the University far beyond his formal role and job duties.
It is in this spirit that the University continues his memory through this award and it is to be presented to a member of the campus community who most closely emulates the persona of Augie Hartung, as demonstrated by the qualities of being:
Affirming | Understanding | Giving | Inspiring | Exceptional
The award is open to all Faculty, Staff and Administrators. Please describe on the attached nomination form clearly and concisely why you consider the nominee for the award. Please give examples of how the nominee best emulates Augie's caring spirit, unquenchable enthusiasm for assisting others, and warmth in thoughtfully reaching out to friends and strangers alike over a sustained period of time.
Augie Award Recipients
- 2006: Catherine (“Cathe”) Stevenson, College of Education – Language, Literacy, and Culture
- 2008: Elaine Burkholder, Student Affairs - Student Health Center
- 2010: Lydia Ortega, Student Affairs - Records, Registration, and Evaluation
- 2012: Diane Podolske, President’s Office - Office of Community Engagement
- 2014: Kim Hunsaker, Student Affairs – Threat Assessment Office
- 2016: Judi Cruz, Student Affairs - Student Health Center
- 2018: Jesse Felix – Associated Students, Inc. (ASI)
- 2020: Lorena Segovia - College of Extended and Global Education - Professional and Continuing Education (PACE)