Every member of the Cal State San Bernardino community has a vital role in sustaining a safe, caring and respectful environment. Collegial interactions are essential to support the mission of the university, its core values, and the concept of shared governance in an efficient, effective and ethical manner.
As we define the future, CSUSB embraces the values of inclusivity, innovation, integrity, respect, social justice and equity, sustainability, transparency, and wellness and safety.
As a thriving university with diverse cultures, we value all members of our campus community, and we know that a civil and considerate environment is integral to the health and well-being of our students, faculty and staff.
We aspire to treat each other well, by adopting the following attitudes and behaviors:
- Treat others with Kindness and Respect. Recognize that informed debate and disagreements are necessary to a vibrant and healthy university setting. Freedom of expression is the hallmark of a university environment.
- Choose Words Carefully. Always treat each other with consideration and respect, whether in person, on the phone, over email, or on social media.
- Keep an Open Mind. Put prejudgments aside when communicating with others. Be mindful of our own actions and statements and the effect these have on others.
- Think the best. We may not always agree, but try to assume we are all trying to do the right thing. Be patient and flexible with others.
- Act in a supportive way. Encourage each other. Acknowledge each other’s contributions, and be willing to step-up and lend a hand when others need help. Be inclusive and welcoming.
Collegiality matters. It is the foundation necessary for shared governance and decision making. By practicing these basic ideals, together we ensure that CSUSB is a welcoming and inclusive environment for all.
Resolution Adopted 6/2018.